1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Windows Live Messenger (0x80070652)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by echolocation, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echolocation

echolocation Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Recently (about a week ago), Microsoft made it mandatory for XP users to upgrade their Windows Live Messenger. I manage to initialise the installation, to the point where it reaches 53% and begins installing Windows Live Communications Platform. From there, the installation fails to advance, continues for 10 minutes, and then claims it was aborted. As the Messenger installation actually involves many programs, it gives the error codes for all the programs separately. All programs have the error code 0x80004004 besides the "Windows Live Communications Platform", which has a code of 0x80070652.

From here, I read what to do if the installation fails from the help services provided - none of which worked. I have checked the internet LAN settings to automatically detect settings. I have attempted the download with no major programs running. I have used both the installer from their website, and the installer offered when you try and sign into the older Messenger.

I then tried to uninstall my older version of messenger (and related products). To my dismay, I found that if i tried to uninstall Messenger, it would open Windows Installer, however, a message would appear saying "Another installation is in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install". This happens whenever I try to uninstall any program on my computer. I am certain there are no another installations running. This has happened for the past few months.

I then researched the code 0x80070652, and, to quote a Microsoft article: "These generic errors indicate that Windows Installer encountered a problem. When you encounter the errors that are described in the "Symptoms" section, the problem may be caused by an incorrect value in the registry."

Following through the article, I ran "Regedit.exe", then went through the files:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

To find AppData, and check its value is "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data.", which it was. So the article did not help either.

Any advice would be good,
    Regards.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice