1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Windows on HP Server

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tonysi, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

Hi

I have just bought an HP server (TC 2120) at an on-line auction. We have installed a RAID drive off a PCI RAID card but this is the only modification we have done. The mirror drive is exactly the same as the drive which came in the system.

The machine appears not to have been used as all documents etc arrived sealed in the bags.

I am trying to install Win XP Pro but am having no luck as the CD is not bootable.

How can I get XP onto this machine??

TIA

Tony

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

"but am having no luck as the CD is not bootable"

I assume you mean the drive is not in the boot sequence ahead of the HDD?
    All XP CDs should be bootable.

Go into the BIOS and change the boot priority to give the CD a higher priority than the HDD

3. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

Done that.

Just tried again this morning - comes up with message that a problem has been detected and Windows shut down to prevent damage to computer. Check for viruses etc. Check HDD to make sure it is properly configured etc. Tech info:
    STOP: 0x00000007B (0xF9E8063c, ....)

4. Wirelessguy

Wirelessguy

use a startup disk to boot the machine and make sure it loads the cdrom drivers, then just run setup from the XP cd.

5. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

Tried that - just keeps stalling during the setup

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I think the STOP 7B error is pointing to the problem that it cannot find the HDD (device not accessible).

7. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

Am just going to try setting up the HDD directly to the IDE port on the MoBo and then trying to install the RAID afterwards

8. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

All failed - found out that this board with IDE HDD will not support RAID. Had to go to plan B which is using third party software to back up the HDD to another HDD using scheduler.

Hopefully that will work!

Thanks for the help people..

9. tgm

tgm

99.99% of the systems that I have seen that have a RAID card require a driver to be installed in order for windows to access the card (and therefor the drives). HP's ship with all the drivers on either CDROM or floppy, but they are current to the date of manufacture of the machine. HP is very good about upgraded drives though. See: http://www.hp.con/cposupport Most RAID drivers show up as a SCSI device; even drivers for most IDE RAID cards.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice