1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Windows XP Home from a hidden hard drive partition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Chaz_WV, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chaz_WV

Chaz_WV Thread Starter

I am trying to fix a computer....It is a HP Pavilion a305w. It did not come with a reinstall disc, instead all the data is on a hidden hard drive partition. This thing needs dumped and a clean install done in a bad way. My questions are: If i reformat the hard drive will it wipe out that hidden partition? If so how can I avoid this. and, If it dosen't How do I access that partition to reinstall windows? The computer is out of warranty so HP Tech support is no help without paying them. Thanks to any and all that can help.

2. prospect

prospect

Welcome, Chaz_WV! :D
    hp kinda sucks that way. If I remember right you have to hit the F10 key at boot up. But sometimes it doesn't do a complete reinstall. It likes to leave all kinds of junk that you are trying to get rid of. :mad:

I was working on a friends hp 751 N and had the same problem. Did you know you can order all the recovery cd's? There's 6 of them. At least that's how many the 751 had. And the part I like the best is that hp doesn't tell ya you can order these cd's. But that's when the computer is still in warranty.
    Now, they'll probably ask for a few bucks to get them. :rolleyes:

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I dont see an a350w model listed on HP's website.

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you boot from the recovery floppy or CD, it will fetch the O/S off the recovery partition and do a fresh install without losing the recovery partition.

6. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

The only problem there is, that if you lose the drive you lose everything, so it is better to have the CDs or make them while you can. I also find that these mass-produced CDs are better being copied to good quality CDRs (not CD-RWs) so that you have a spare set in reserve.

Plus 4ยท0Gb, or more, of drive space is valuable wasted space!

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Oh, I agree that recovery partitions are stupid, but that's not the point under discussion. :)

He already has a system with a recovery partition, we're just trying to use it.

8. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice