Installing Windows XP on a SATA HDD

Steve203

Apologies for this delayed reply - had a 12hr powercut yesterday and had since not noticed there was a page-2 to the thread! Thanks Peter for taking the trouble to do searches on my behalf. I'm afraid the drivers in that file seem to be too late for my system.

I've been looking again at the BIOS 'Drive Configuration'. The 'ATA/IDE Configuration' has 'Enhanced' and 'Legacy' options. The note for 'Enhanced' says "All SATA and PATA resources enabled". For 'Legacy' it says "Up to 2 IDE channels enabled for OS requiring legacy IDE operation". In 'Legacy' there are 4 options for the 2 IDE channels. When I change to 'Legacy' the one enabled is 'SATA P0/P2, PATA'. The HDD is on SATA Port 0 and the DVD-ROM of course on PATA.

Surely this looks like the option to switch between SATA/IDE compatiblity and AHCI? If so I need to figure out why 'Legacy' does not work.

BIOS_image.jpg

It is showing Sata as legacy
When you boot from cd do you see the drive now?

Steve203

It always boots from CD. It is after copying files, when it tries to boot from HDD that it cannot see the drive.Changing the 'ATA/IDE Configuration'.from 'Enhanced' to 'Legacy' before starting makes no difference at all.

It always boots from CD. It is after copying files, when it tries to boot from HDD that it cannot see the drive.Changing the 'ATA/IDE Configuration'.from 'Enhanced' to 'Legacy' before starting makes no difference at all.
So you can see the drive from the cd when installing XP?
Is that installing via legacy mode?

Steve203

I'm not sure what you mean by "see the drive from the cd". As far as I can understand it (which is not well!) the system boots to the CD and because the BIOS can "see" the HDD the CD can see the HDD and copies Windows files to it. It is when the installation tries to boot to the Windows files on the HDD that it fails, since the software can't see the HDD because of the lack of drivers in XP.

Your suggestion of installing a later Windows (perhaps Vista rather than W7 for smaller size) might be a good prospect, using XP mode for the scanner's software. If it works out it would be a neat solution.

Steve203

I see that you're right. I was sure I'd read it was possible in Vista, but I obviously didn't do my research properly.

This is turning into a major project. It was going to be an easy afternoon's job installing XP, but that was two weeks ago. I may just have to keep the XP system I am writing this on. It is a full-size Dell Dimension 8400 tower, minus its outer casing - it is a good old computer and has been totally reliable, but it is big and very ugly! I have been given a Windows 10 machine to replace it, but need something to run my even older film scanner.

Steve203

What I had read about must have been 'Program Compatibilty Wizard', which does apparently exist in Vista, so it might be a possibility, though I think it may only work for programs installed in XP before an upgrade to Vista.

Last edited:

Steve203

I tried Vista.When I tried installing the scanner program I thought it looked like it would work, but at the end it said "Failed to update the Registry - try regedit" and the program did not work.

Back to looking for an F6 driver for XP. I am wondering how I installed XP on this system I am using now. It has a slightly newer (D925XYT) motherboard with the same 82801FB chip. I don't recall any problem and if there was I would have kept the driver files, which I haven't.

Steve203

Just had a look in BIOS on this Dell machine and discovered why I did not have a problem installing XP. In 'Drives > SATA Operation' there are 4 options: 'RAID Autodetect / AHCI', 'RAID Autodetect / ATA', 'RAID On'. and 'Combination'. The second, 'RAID Autodetect / ATA', is selected.

There must be some way of achieving the same in this Viglen machine, I just can't find it!

If you do not want to use win 7 xp mode
The next option with Vista is to download Virtual Box or Vmware and install XP as a virtual machine
50/50 chance of working

It is when the installation tries to boot to the Windows files on the HDD that it fails,
In what way does it fail? any error messages?
Because if you have xp on the hdd it is seeing the drive in ide mode otherwise you would not get that far.
Of this I am pretty sure . I will ask someone else if they agree with this statement.
@crjdriver

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online