Installing Windows XP on a SATA HDD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Steve203

The best way I can explain it to myself is as I described in post 22 above. Whether this is technically right I don't know. There is masses about this problem on the web, and the solution given is always to install approprate drivers on the initial installation via the F6 option or to set the SATA operation to IDE in the BIOS. On the machine I am writing this on the BIOS setting is obvious. On the Viglen I am trying to install on there just doesn't seem to be the option in the BIOS - yet surely there must be if I can find it. I am experimenting at the moment.

crjdriver

That is correct. If xp setup "Sees" the drive and begins the install, you have other hardware problems.

Steve203

There is no hardware problem, just the lack of drivers in XP. The Vista installation went without a hitch, including the restart, and I can install a Linux o/s - I've been using a Linux Mint on this system and this HD for a few years.

I have picked through every part of the BIOS and there is definitely no option for setting SATA operation to IDE unless it is setting 'ATA/IDE Configuration' to 'Legacy', and that just doesn't do it. I've tried 'Legacy' plus some other options that looked possible, but wihout improvement.

I am going to have to give this up and carry on using this big Dell 8400 lump for now. My simplest option might be to get another slightly less old computer and hope the BIOS has a clear option for switching to IDE operation. I will awaken this thread if I ever do find a solution.

Thanks to everyone who has offered help and advice,

Steve203

I got there in the end! It is obvious from this Intel page why I could not find any AHCI drivers for the 82801FB controller, only FR and FBM, but Windows XP seemed to need some sort of driver to access the SATA drive, and I could not find anything to install with the F6 option.

I hooked up a PATA drive on the PATA connection with the DVD-ROM and successfully installed XP with the BIOS ATA/IDE Configuration set to Legacy (it would not reboot during installation with it set to Enhanced even on PATA). Now that I had a working XP installation I ran any infinst_autol files I could find that looked possible, to try and make sure I had all chipset drivers.

I then used Clonezilla to make a disc-to-disc clone of the installation on to the SATA drive and it worked (I previously tried making a Clonezilla image but the result was still un-bootable).

There must have been a simpler way, but this seems to have done the job.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts