1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Windows XP on Ubuntu in Dell inspiron 1420

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by socrates2008, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. socrates2008

socrates2008 Thread Starter

I got a dell Inspiron 1420 from my colleague. He had installed Ubuntu (Hardy heron 8.04) Now I want to install Windows XP on it. While running Windows Xp setup I receive a message "Harddisk not detected" Installation doesnt go ahead. Please guide on how to solve this issue

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe you have a hardware problem. But chances are that the disk was formatted with one or several of the many formats that Windows does not understand. You will probably have to first partition the disk the way you want it and then format the Windows partition as NTFS (or FAT32).

The Windows install CD should be able to handle the partitioning and formatting or you could use something like Gparted.

3. nshapter

nshapter

4. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Yeah, it is a fact that you need the SATA drivers to be able to install XP on your laptop (it's actually true for most if not all computers made after (probably) 2006).

nshapter's guide is actually pretty good.

5. nshapter

nshapter

:DThanks for the props, I didn't write the guide though, just googled it. I can say that I have tried these steps and found them to work for 32 bit winXP sp2.

I had a similar situation, inherited this laptop at work and it had it's former owner's passwords all over it and (n) vista (n) install disks only.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/762577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice