1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing Windows XP

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by aerain, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aerain

aerain Thread Starter

Hi,

I recently bought Windows XP Pro (Full) and everytime I try to install it, it freezes up. For example, there is only 3 min left on the final installation and then my hard drive stops running BUT my cd rom is still running. This has happened at least 6 times. I cannot install any other OS except Windows ME. Windows 2000 doesn't even see any partitions on my hard drive.

My specs:

AMD 800 MHz, 512 MB, 30 GB HD (All 3 partions are FAT 32).

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know if it would cause the problems you are experiencing, but as a general rule installs should be done with antivirus disabled in the BIOS. Is yours?

Sometimes problem installs are managed by disabling external cache for the period of the install and re-enabling it afterwards.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice