Installing Windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thefunkyboi

I have a laptop with a broken screen. I am trying to mirror the laptop display onto a separate monitor. I have the correct lead which allows me to hook the laptop to the monitor BUT....

I am also trying to re-install windows vista on the laptop (as it wont put past safe mode) From what I *can* see on the laptop scren I am able to enter into vista setup from the DVD but for some reason I am unable to view the installation process on the external display.

I have tried 2 separate monitors and a compatible PC TV to try and view the laptop display during the setup but only get 'No Signal' each time.

Does anyone know how I am able to view the windows setup on an external monitor??

Thanks very much

thefunkyboi

Update : Appears I am able to get in to windows on safe mode, but still unable to view screen on external display?? Any ideas??

thefunkyboi

Update 2 - Have managed to get into Windows on regular mode (goodness knows how as I cant see a bloody thing apart from 1 inch on the left hand side!) I have managed to locate control panel / external displays - but the monitor that it is hooked up to is not showing up an optional external display device. It is only able to find ' Screen 1 ' (which is the broken laptop screen) - If i could just get it to find the second screen ... :(

crjdriver

This may seem like a silly question but how are you toggling between the screen and external monitor? Are you using the correct function key?

thefunkyboi

This may seem like a silly question but how are you toggling between the screen and external monitor? Are you using the correct function key?
I have about 2 inchs on the right hand side of the laptop screen that is still working so am able to hair a fair idea over what is going on in the laptop but trying to install windows and not being able to see anything is as hard as it sounds.

I am currently not able to toggle between the laptop display and the external moniter - this is what I am currently trying to do.

The function key which on the laptop suggests would be the correct key to toggle between two displays does not seem to be working which is making this job even harder!

If I could toggle between them and see the laptop screen on the external moniter then I would be fine...!

Is there a default setting that would automatically switch the toggle on? Or do I need to re-install any particular drivers in order to try and get the default function of the 'toggle button' back again??

Snagglegaster

Banned
I have about 2 inchs on the right hand side of the laptop screen that is still working so am able to hair a fair idea over what is going on in the laptop but trying to install windows and not being able to see anything is as hard as it sounds.

I am currently not able to toggle between the laptop display and the external moniter - this is what I am currently trying to do.

The function key which on the laptop suggests would be the correct key to toggle between two displays does not seem to be working which is making this job even harder!

If I could toggle between them and see the laptop screen on the external moniter then I would be fine...!

Is there a default setting that would automatically switch the toggle on? Or do I need to re-install any particular drivers in order to try and get the default function of the 'toggle button' back again??
Most laptops require you to use 2 keys to toggle the monitor function. Generally a key marked Fn in blue plus a Function key, also usually labeled in blue subscript. Your layout can vary, but it's usually pretty clear if you look at the keyboard carefully. Press and hold the Fn key, then tap the related Function key, and you should be good.

thefunkyboi

I am able to connect the laptop online using an ethernet cable and able to partially view a web browser in the 2inch bar on the left....

Does anyone know if there is an automatic driver scanner/downloader/installer which literally is automated (as I cant see a damn thing!) and will update all the required drivers again - as I suspect that I *should* then be able to to toggle between the two displays and get this ***** up and running!

thefunkyboi

Ive tried the FN key with the key at the top which has an image on it that indicates that it would be used to toggle between displays but it does jack all. I have a feeling the drivers are corrupted -

Im wondering if perhaps I should try installing logmein or teamviewer so I can view the laptop screen on my desktop remotely and then update the drivers from there ??

managed

Allan
I think a new screen is your best bet. Check out Ebay you may find a good used one.

What laptop is it ?

As far as I know the function keys don't work unless you're in Windows.and the correct software is running.

Snagglegaster

Banned
I think a new screen is your best bet. Check out Ebay you may find a good used one.

What laptop is it ?

As far as I know the function keys don't work unless you're in Windows.and the correct software is running.
I would agree that replacing the display might be the preferred route if the user can buy a panel at a decent price and is willing and able to do the replacement himself. If he has to farm it out, that isn't likely to be very cost-effective.

Whether or not special keys like the Fn key or whatever work without Windows running is both a function of keyboard hardware; i.e. does a specific key send a code to the BIOS, and whether the BIOS interprets the code.correctly. I think you'll find that most laptops stick with implementations where all keys on the machine are hardwired to generate scancodes, and the BIOS are designed to accept them, independent of Windows, Linux, etc.

thefunkyboi

I checked out the replacement screens on eBay and they were like £80.... the same laptop was being sold for £90...!! I somehow managed to get it to work in the end..... after lots of shouting, cigerettes, coffee and nearly a few tears I found from reading some forums that someone suggested completing uninstalling the display adapter in device manager (which I managed to do SOMEHOW - bearing in mind I couldn't see a thing I was doing!) and that seemed to do the trick...!!

I now currently have a working system, being used as a media centre hooked up to the TV!

Thanks everyone for the advice and help.... I really appreciate it!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online