Installing WInXP -what would happen...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

max 8

I already have windows xp pro on my pc. Just wondering what would happen if I installed WinXP Pro again on top of it.
Would it delete all the existing file/programs?

Reason I ask is because lately I've been having some issues with my desktop. There was a time when I booted up and only half of my desktop icons showed up. I shut the system down and restarted a few mintues later and all my icons were there.

I don't want to reformat my HD, just want to know from you experts what would happen if I install it ontop of an existing WinXP.

I tried the "repair" function, but it kept on asking me for the administrator's password. I never set up a password for my winXP so I wouldn't be able to provide one to enable the repair process.

Just hit enter when it asks for the password, if you never entered one it should go ahead and repair the program. Be forewarned though, while the repair function doesn't reformat you may have to reinstall some drivers. Just depends on what kind of hardware you are running. Scott

max 8

I tried hitting enter like a million times. It kept on asking for a password.

Reinstalling XP will refresh the Windows files and it will not affect your applications and data files. But it will not repair problems caused by a misbehaving applications.

Instead I recommend you do some PC house cleaning. Run Disk Cleanup, Run MSCONFIG select the Startup tab and uncheck all non Microsoft items, and select My Computer and right click your hard drive select the Tools tab and Run Error-Checking and Defrag.

As for the password try: password

If you reinstall Windows from scratch, the existing programs will not actually be removed from your hard drive (unless you reformat the drive), but most (if not all) of programs will be inaccessible and will need to be reinstalled.

The question asked was "Just wondering what would happen if I installed WinXP Pro again on top of it".

The answer is that you would not have to reinstall all your other applications.

The only thing you would need to do is to download all the updates from the Microsoft Updates site as they will be removed/overwritten.

Try that first as it generally cures a misbehaving OS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online