1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing WinXP

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by at_random, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

I've never had to install a new OS; I've just used Win98 for over 2 years now (my friend reformatted my drive once for me, I didn't know how to do it). But now my system is crashing more than ever and I'm considering getting XP to (supposedly) fix that. If I get it, what do I have to do to install it (other than backing up my files)? Will I have to reconfigure all my cable modem and router information? And while we're at it, what notable programs aren't compatible with XP?

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

for one thing, your friend probably reformated your hard drive correctly and probably even installed it correctly, but something could have messed up during the installation that your friend didn't know about. I would suggest you have your friend wipe out everything, remove all partitions and creat a fresh partition, format and then reinstall win98SE just to make sure something didn't go bonkers.

If that still doesn't work and all of your hardware is OK, then you could install winXP. However, I don't recommend installing a winXP or WinXP upgrade over the top of your win98 installation (if you can even do that with xp). You definitely want to start fresh.

Or possibly dual boot win98 and XP. I would wait a while to get XP. It will mostly work great for ya and is still the same old windows if you ask me.

but ,yes you will have to setup your network and modem and all your hardware in winXP.

check this out for winXP installation steps http://www.windowsreinstall.com/

3. kramnnim

kramnnim

Notable programs that dont work with XP? Um...Norton AV 2000, and EZ CD 4...

4. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

I use AVG anti-virus, do you know if that would work? Also, XP has its own CD burning software, right? How does it compare to Easy CD?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice