1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing wired ethernet card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tictaczodiac, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tictaczodiac

tictaczodiac Thread Starter

I am using win xp, I bought a wired network card at walmart, model NC100I-WM, it says it works with win 95,98,2000,ME, and Xp. I took out my dial up modem and attempted to install this new card and it would not fit. I put my dial up modem back in with no difficulty. Is there some reason this card will not fit in my pc? Do I have the wrong card? The phone company told me that the one they recommend is about $30 at Office Depot, this one at walmart was about half the price.

2. arknorth

arknorth

First of all, how old is the computer (make and model please), and are you attempting to install it into a white PCI slot?

Most NIC cards are roughly $19.99 these days. And from the model number you provided, I would assume that this particular one was packaged especially for WalMart (not that it matters). If your modem card is in a white jack that's roughly 6 inches long, then the NIC card you're attempting to install should be able to replace it. It just might take a bit of force - they are sometime very balky at inserting, seeing that not all circuit boards (that green board that these things are made from) are the same thickness. Just make sure that the metal tab that faces the back of the machine is down in its slot (otherwise the card will not seat flush with the outside of the box) and that you are matching the tab slot in the socket before you press firmly with your thumbs on the card's edge (hence the reason it's so much easier to install these beasties while the computer is lying on it's side).

I will also assume that this computer does not already have a RJ-45 jack for networking up in the cluster of other jacks? Most newer machines have it in with the USB jacks.

A-N

3. tictaczodiac

tictaczodiac Thread Starter

The make and model (I assume) is hp pavilion 6835 and I bought it in 2000, the slot is approx 6" and is white. It just seemed like I could not get it to go into the slot and snap in..like I said, the dial up modem card went back in with no problem. Also, the guy from the phone company (who came out to hook me up on high speed) was saying that I could put it in a slot below the one already in use but I could not get the metal cover from the back to come out to use one of the other slots. I seriously tried to install this card for about an hour last night and had feared that I was going to damage something trying so I put the other one back in. I will try again though, thank you for the reply.

4. arknorth

arknorth

Manufacturer : Hewlett-Packard
    Model : Pavilion 6835
    Standard Memory : 128 MB (removable)
    Number of sockets for upgrade : 2
    Maximum amount of memory : 512 MB
    Memory must be installed in set(s) of : 1
    Bus Type : PCI
    HardDisk Bustype : Ultra ATA-66
    CPU : 800MHz Intel Celeron
    HardDisk Comments : 30.0 GB
    Model Comments : 100MHz FSB, Intel 810 Chipset
    CPU Comments : Socket 370
    Native OS : Windows ME

Ah, that explains it - my nephew has one of those, and I had to put a NIC in it as well - I guess they didn't think those Celeron units would be networked so much back then!!

It sometimes takes a bit of force but there's an easy answer - when you have the modem out, compare the slots - if they look the same in shape between the two cards, you just have a balky new card that doesn't want to go in without a fight.

You might want to try a tiny pit of petrolium jelly if you have any - With a napkin, lightly wipe the contacts of the NIC card with some (making sure not to overdo it). It could help get it in there.

A-N

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice