installing wireless network/problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jillywilly

ok first off--i am very networking impaired lol

i have a hp desktop that is over one year old..i recently bought a gateway notebook so my brother could have the desktop and me have wireless internet on my notebook. i use charter pipeline cable internet. i purchased a linksys wireless-g broadband router and i connected that to the desktop fine--i can use the internet and such. i bought a linksys wireless-g notebook adapter. ive tried looking through the computer guide i got on how to set up a network, wireless internet, troubleshooting, all that.

now i can choose a wireless network (linksys_ses_10154) and when i click connect, it says to enter network key. i clicked open the wireless network settings and there was a really long network key, which i typed into the prompt box. it says "please wait while windows connects to the "linksys_ses_10154" network, then it just goes back to the main network connection screen and im still not connected.

but on the ports on the front of the router, 2 of them are lit up--one for desktop (which has been lit up) and now another one, which im assuming is the notebook.

on the network connections page, i have 3 icons--1394 connection(connected), local area connection broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller(network cable unplugged--which did say connected before), and wireless network connection wireless-g notebook adapter WPC54G V3(not connected--and it did say connected before)...and now i get this little popup saying "unable to connect to wireless network"

anyways--i have NO idea what to do..i hope someone can help ! thanks

TerryNet

Terry
"now i can choose a wireless network (linksys_ses_10154)"

And that is the SSID you assigned to your wireless signal?

"... clicked open the wireless network settings and there was a really long network key, which i typed into the prompt box."

How did the key get there? If it was already there, why did you type it again? Is it the same as you used in the router settings?

"on the ports on the front of the router, 2 of them are lit up--one for desktop (which has been lit up) and now another one, which im assuming is the notebook."

Well, can you follow the cable from the "another one" to determine if it does in fact go to your notebook?

You need to set up your wireless security on the wired computer type 192.168.1.1 the default user name will be admin go to wireless-wireless security. I have mine set on wpa shared key-tkip type a password in wpa shared key and use the same settings on the laptop.

jillywilly

TerryNet said:
"now i can choose a wireless network (linksys_ses_10154)"

And that is the SSID you assigned to your wireless signal?

"... clicked open the wireless network settings and there was a really long network key, which i typed into the prompt box."

How did the key get there? If it was already there, why did you type it again? Is it the same as you used in the router settings?

"on the ports on the front of the router, 2 of them are lit up--one for desktop (which has been lit up) and now another one, which im assuming is the notebook."

Well, can you follow the cable from the "another one" to determine if it does in fact go to your notebook?
1. linksys_ses is the only network that showed up
2. the network settings came up on notepad and it said network key so i figured that is what i needed to put in where it said network key when i tried to connect to the network
3. ok the 2 lights were my mistake--it was only the light from the desktop--i was looking at it from an angle and it looked like the one next to it was lit up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online