1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing XP Blues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by smunday, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smunday

smunday Thread Starter

I formated my HD drive and found that I couldn't run XP from my CD-Rom. For some reason my CD-Rom wouldn't run with the XP in it, thats without any OS (I did make it so I booted from CD on start up)

I reinstalled Win98 so I had some sort of OS and tryed to install XP right over the new 98 install.

Problem: I got an exception when I clicked on the 'Install XP' from the splash page that comes up when put in the XP CD. It says:
    WINNT32 caused an exception in (didn't get the numbers) in KERNEL32.DLL.

Does anyone know how I can get passed this so I can install XP??

Thanks once again.
    S.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is a MSKB article that addresses the problem of installing xp over 9x.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316502
    If you are unable to install from the cd you can either download and use the six setup disks for xp, or copy the i386 folder from the cd to your hd and run setup from there.
    Note: if you run setup from your hd via a win9x boot disk you will need to copy smartdrv.exe to a floppy and run smartdrv prior to running setup. If you do not, it will take hours to install.
    I gather from your post that you are unable to boot from the cd. These are two options for installing xp, hope that helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!