1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing XP from anything besides CD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by akimatsu, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. akimatsu

akimatsu Thread Starter

My CD drive is broken, and replacing it is not an option right now. I have an external USB CD drive i use.

I want to format my HDD, then re-install win xp. what do you suggest I do? Before, i have always booted from my CD, formated the HDD, then installed. Since the CD drive i can boot from is not an option anymore, what should I do?

Thanks

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    do you have the option in the bios to boot from USB
    if so
    try that first and see if it boots off the CD

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you don't have an option to boot from usb cdrom, time to spend the $15 and buy a new one as there is no other way.

4. steven1350

steven1350

There is many ways you could do it.

If you have a floppy drive, you could always make a bootable floppy with USB drivers, and use that to tell it to boot the cd (i think that works).

Change it to the directory of the cd, and type "setup"

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Good one but the cd rom doesn't work...so telling it to boot to something that does not work, fixes what?
    If you cannot boot top usb cdrom, then you need to purchase a new cd rom. If $15 is too much, go compute in the public library.

6. inuyasha320

inuyasha320

to do this from a usb drive with a pc that doesnt have the boot from usb feature, first before reformating, in windows load the windows cd into the usb cd drive

a window should popup

in that window, you will select the option to reinstall windows, the pc will restart and take you to the windows xp install page.

there you can have it format the drive and reinstall windows

this problem is not that you don't have the drivers, it is that the pc doesnt know to use that device

i have installed windows xp with a usb drive many times before.

7. steven1350

steven1350

but he claims he can't boot from usb (this is true from many older pcs)

as I said earlier, use my floppy disk method. It doesn't really boot from the cd, but it runs the windows setup program.

8. akimatsu

akimatsu Thread Starter

i have done that before too, putting the windows install CD in the os, choosing re-install windows, etc. however, i can't re-format the disk, because setup automatically copies the installation files to the C drive, so i cant format it, or else all the setup files would be gone.

setup keeps on returning an alert saying "there are essential installation files in the partition specified, Windows Setup is unable to format this disk" or something of that sort

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Take the external CD out of the box, and install it as the CD in the machine. Boot the XP CD and install. This doesn't seem all that difficult to do, and it's sure easier than screwing around with the other options!

10. akimatsu

akimatsu Thread Starter

and how do you install the cd as the CD in the machine? I can install it, but my BIOS still tries to access my broken one.

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

Disconnect or remove the broken cd drive

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

Reset bios to default or optimum default settings...

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!