1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing xp from upgrade disc

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Fankle, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fankle

Fankle Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a barebones pc I just bought, and I have a Windows Xp upgrade disc I also bought some years ago. Can I install xp using the upgrade disc? The computer has no OS on it as it stands now. Thanks.

2. Wasper

Wasper

Nope, I believe you need a prior Windows operating system on the hard drive before you can upgrade. Do you have an old win 98 cd laying around, I know you can upgrade from that.

3. Fankle

Fankle Thread Starter

I do hav an old 98SE disc, but the motherboard says it does not support 98. Is that even possible I haven't tried installing 98?

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You should be able to install from the upgrade disk. The setup will ask you to insert the disk for Windows 98 (it must not be an upgrade version however).

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

You do not install Win98 . . early in the installation of XP, it will ask to have the win 98 disc put in the cd drive to verify eligibility for the upgrade . .

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

And it can be an upgrade version of 98 also.

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

You have tried to upgrade from an earlier upgrade CD (without the original being installed on a HD) and it works?

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes I only have an upgrade version of Me and have used that to do this.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!