1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing XP Home on 2nd Computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by spikefan, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spikefan

spikefan Thread Starter

I am waiting for a new machine to be delivered - Christmas has come early. My old machine has been hit by some sort of virus which has wiped various settings and I decided enough was enough - hence new machine.
    Question - when I receive my new machine, together with discs etc. will I be able to reformat my old machine and install XP home on it to enable us to use it as a backup/second machine (five in household - long queues for computer). We would then just be able to transfer files etc. between the two machines - my husband uses the computer for work and can work off line if need be. I only have copies of windows 98se disc, and key.

2. RandyG

RandyG

It will depend on whether or not you get an additional license of XP with the new computer. You may only install XP on one sytem at a time.

3. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

I bought a windows xp disk and installed it on my pc. when I treid to install it on my second pc it kept asking for it to be activated. I got in touch with microsoft and explained the situation and they gave me a new activation code allowing me to put it on the second pc as well.( I may have been lucky)
    I dont know whether a new pc will come with an xp disk or just a back up disk for the new pc.
    Other than that u will have to buy an additional xp disk.

Cheers

Gus

4. spikefan

spikefan Thread Starter

Thanks, cant do much until I get the new pc. I know I get the discs but not so sure about the additional licence. I get the discs because I have taken out 3 years worth of cover - otherwise I would have to pay for the discs. Watch this space - here's hoping.

5. Jaelini

Jaelini

Gusman...you must really be lucky---I am so ready to say to heck with microsoft (toned down version of what I REALLY want to say about them)!!! I called today for a code because it was my understanding I could have it on my laptop (which travels alot) and one copy on my desktop...the laptop was upgraded first, then the desktop. The little twit at microsoft told me I had to purchase an activation code for the desk top! :eek: WHY?!?! He tells me to go read my eula agreement...welllllll schmuck--I did read it and it is my understanding that I can have it on both as one is a mobile system. I guess I am just a dumb-butt because he said I must have misunderstood the eula. Screw them...why should i pay $80 for a keycode when I paid $79 for the upgrade?? (tax free...military has a few benefits :D ) If I had the $$ I would go to any OS besides windows...but why should microsoft really give a hoot--I am just one little person and they have like "world domination" or damn near in the OS department...anyhow, thank yer lucky stars Gusman...you must have gotten a newbie on the phone! ;) By the way---if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can convince Microsoft I am not a pirate and just want to be able to use xp on both of my computers...let me know!

6. saikee

saikee

Speaking from a position of an owner of 6 XP licenses I can report to you guys that yes you can do what you like but there is a catch.

XP has been designed so that MS can make link to you PC each time you are in the Internet, for the purpose of downloading upgrades I would image their excuse would be, WITHOUT the need of your intervention. Various thing can happen whether you install or not install the updates. One thing for certain is an unofficial copy of XP not fully updated will be a serious security risk to its owner. Many users found suddenly the system become unavailable and spend days to to sort out the mess. System can keep rebooting itself etc. Was it a virus attack or was a security hole not patched (deliberately?). Not a fan of MS myself but there is a long and toturous road ahead for those wanting to bypass the license requirement.

Many other major software vendors are requiring their license to be activated too.

A software license is always for use by one operating machine. For a multple-user liciense the number of machines that can use the software is always stated.

7. Jaelini

Jaelini

Saikee...I understand the whole thing about the updates...and I am not going to circumvent the licensing requirement...but unless I fork over $80 to them, my system will become unavailable to me regardless...so who's the real pirate here? Certainly not I--I do not "borrow" friends' programs, loan out my programs, etc...I took offense when the rep started referring to the eula and piracy...and spoke rather condescendingly when I tried to explain what "I" understood from the eula...anyhow--I expect my "activation" time will expire before I have the crackers to get another upgrade for this system...watch for the pyrotechnics in Northern NY when my system spontaneously self-destructs for lack of a "valid" activation code!! Hee heee!

8. saikee

saikee

You can always repair and get your system back any time with the original cracked disc. No body is preventing you to enjoy your system. The system can still work until it is hit again.

The point here is that it is just a $80 problem but not many users know because the syptom is not obvious.

Would you be willing just to go out buy a license copy and rescue the existing system instead of buying a new computer if it is all that takes?

The damage to the XP generally confines to the corruption of the bootable files. All the user data should be intact and extractable in perfect order if the hard drive is read by another computer.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!