1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing XP Home SP2 failed twice

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tom Seeley, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

I can't install Windows XP Home SP2. I've tried twice and it stops in the middle. I did it successfully sometime back on my laptop and I thought I was doing the same thing, but it isn't working.

I've searched this forum and the only directly applicable thread contains much about modifying my registry. I'm terrified of doing that! Is there another way?

Here's what happened, to the best of my memory and quick scribbling ability, as windows popped up and vanished during the process!

I had downloaded the SP2 file long ago but had never gotten around to installing it. So tonight I decided I would.

Just before, I uninstalled Norton Systemwork 2004 using Norton's removal tool on Symantec's website. So I was running without virus or third party firewall. My config is: Dell; Windows XP Home, SP1; cable modem; MSIE v6. Ask me about anything else, but that's about all that I think is relevant at the moment.

I clicked Install on the Windows Update page, via MSIE.

I got a window titled Installing Updates. It said "the updates are being installed". It showed "installation status" above an internal box that showed "initializing installation..." then after a minute or two it added "installing..."

While that was progressing, a second window popped up. This one was titled Windows SP2 Setup Wizard. It suggested I back up and close all programs. I was still running the "Installing Updates" window and I left that open and I also left MSIE open. I clicked "next" and the "wizard" started "inspecting current configuration". In the meantime, the "installing Updates" window continued to build progress.

My first question is: what was going on at that point? Two parallel install routines, or one, with duplicate but different progress windows?

Second q: was it working right at that point, or had I done something wrong already?

As both progress bars got almost to 50%, the "wizard" suddenly vanished and I got a new window that said, in effect, SP2 Removal Wizard. It then proceeded through a series of steps that it checked off one by one, till it too vanished and I got the dreaded window titled SP2 Setup Error. That one said "SP2 install did not complete. Windows XP has been partially updated and may not work properly. Click OK to undo what you've done (I'm paraphrasing here)."

I clicked OK and all windows wizard windows vanished. The original Installing Updates window then changed to "failed" (in effect), at which point I got out my straight razor and prepared to slit my wrists, but my wife called me to dinner, so I guess I'm ok for now.

I restarted, and SP1 is in effect and seems to be ok.

What happened?

What do I do about it?

I've lived this long without SP2 I'm tempted to go on that way, but I'm at least curious!:eek:

2. Mulderator

Mulderator

Did you unload all the programs in memory--especially any virus scanning programs? I would Go to Start, Run, MsConfig and then choose "Selective Startup" and uncheck the Startup Programs and reboot and then try the install. Also don't click next when that second setup wizard appears. Just wait for the first step or phase to complete.

I haven't installed SP2 in a long time so I forget exactly what comes up.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

What model Dell? . . some of the need a BIOS update to work with SP2

4. Tom Seeley

Dell dimension 2400; celeron 2.40 Ghz; 256 MB ram; remind me pls how to find the date and version of my bios

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yep . . the 2400 is one that needs the "Microcode update" BIOS . . that was in A04 . . A05 is the newest version . . you can go straight to that one

You can look in BIOS ( press Del at boot ) to see the BIOS version or you can run dxdiag

Start . . Run . . type dxdiag

The least problematic way to upgrade to SP2 is to download the full version here

Be sure you properly prepare for the upgrade . .

6. Tom Seeley

Thank you, sir!

I'm wondering: is updating my BIOS something I should do, in principle, whenever I can, whether or not I do it because I want to install something like SP2?

Tom

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

Personally, I would only update the BIOS if there was a specific need to do so.

8. Tom Seeley

Thx for sticking with this newbie! I have one followup question: are you saying that I must at least update my bios before trying to install SP2, before I'll even know if I still have problems or not? that's ok; I just want to be sure I know hwat to do next. The msg below yours says not to monkey with the bios unless I have a good reason to. Is this one such reason, I guess is what I'm asking?

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yes . . update the BIOS first . . otherwise you get a pretty blue screen when SP2 installs . . the original BIOS was poorly written and will not work with SP2 . . has caused much grief with Dell owners . .

I agree that it is not necessary to update the BIOS unless the newer BIOS fixes a problem, but, in your case it does. It is easy to do . . it even runs within windows so the usual update process is not needed. The only real danger is power going out during the flash . . I always have the pc attached to a UPS when I update BIOS . .

Edit: . . the reccomendation to upgrade the BIOS assumes you have A03 or lower . . if you have A04 or 05, it is not necessary.

10. Tom Seeley

Well, now I'm stumped. I ran dxdiag and it says my bios is Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS version 1.10 A05.

Thoughts?

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

Then you should not have the microcode conflict . . you can boot into BIOS ( Setup ) to verify . . Look at the top of the screen. Tap the Delete key when you turn it on . .

If you follow the guidence in the Microsoft article, disconnect from the internet, disable your AntiVirus and any running spyware programs . . you should be able to upgrade using the downloaded full SP2 update package

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!