1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing XP on a Compaq laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pancake528, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pancake528

pancake528 Thread Starter

I can't install XP (Professional 32 bit) on this Compaq laptop. The laptop had Vista Basic, and at one point could not go past the loading bar. I have a XP disc and want to install it. When I do it goes up to the beginning setup screen, where it ask what you want to do: i.e. Reformat, Install, Create parition, etc. But when I tried it with other computers it worked (with my Toshiba Satellite Pro), but with this it says:

"Unknown disc"

"There is no disk in this drive"

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/151/unknowndiscissue.jpg

Then it get a blue screen. "SETUPDD.SYS" error.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and complete model number of that Compaq laptop?

If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number(P/N) and model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

------------------------------------------------------------

Are you using an original or copied Windows XP Pro disc?

Does it contain SP3?

Do you have the 25-character serial number to activate it after it's installed?

------------------------------------------------------------

Have you confirmed if there are Windows XP drivers for all of the devices in that laptop?

If there isn't, downgrading from Windows Vista to Windows XP is an exercise in futility.

-------------------------------------------------------------

3. drmacpccom

drmacpccom

It is possible you have a computer specific windows xp copy. Sometimes when you have a computer, the disc that came with it will only install to a particular computer model. If this is not the case, then your cd rom in the computer may have issues reading the disc, and you would want to ensure it works by trying another cd or seeing if that cd has some smudge on it.

I hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice