1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing XP on a computer with no OS.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SeaShelly3, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SeaShelly3

SeaShelly3 Thread Starter

My computer had a major crash 'n' burn kind of thing a few months previously, and I completely formatted it in an attempt to get rid of the problem. I'm just now getting around to getting it set up again, but it's proving problematic. It says I've installed XP, but it wont start up. Instead, when I turn the computer on, it says "press any key to boot from disc" for a moment, before switching to an error message:

Booting from the disc takes me back to the installation screen. I've tried the "repair" option it gives me, but I don't understand the commands. Can anyone help me out? I'd appreciate it. ^_^

2. jydiver

jydiver

Hi SeaShelly3,

If you 're using the first repair option that's not the one you want, at the first prompt you want to choose install, it will detect the previous install and offer to repair it that's when you choose repair. Good luck

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Are you trying to install XP on a formated disc? Did you press a key to boot from the cd? . .

wrs

4. SeaShelly3

Jydiver, I'm afraid I don't see where that is. I've gone into the place where it says to select a partition in which to install XP, but I don't see a repair option from there. Here, I can just give a rundown of everything I'm seeing.

*turn on computer*
    Compaq screen comes up for a moment
    Black screen with white type: Press any key to boot from disc.....
    *push a key*
    Blue screen: text at bottom says "Press F6 to install a SCSI"
    then: Press F2 for Automated System Recovery (asks for a disc which I don't have)
    then: loads several windows files and gives a "starting windows" message
    Comes up with screen: Press Enter to install Windows XP, 'R' to repair, and F3 to quit installer and restart computer.
    Pressing Enter takes me to a partition select page; C: has 16000 or so free MB, D: has about 2000.
    Selecting C: says: this drive already has an operating system, installing multiple operating systems may cause them to function improperly, etc. Do you still want to continue?
    Saying yes brings up a screen with the following options:
    Format drive to FAT system (quick)
    Format Drive to NTFS system (quick)
    Format drive to FAT system
    Format drive to NTFS system
    Convert the partition to NTFS
    Leave drive as it is

I've tried both FAT and NTFS, and both come up with the same problem. Then it takes me to the format and install page, which takes about 15 minutes to complete, and restarts again, and the whole process starts over.
    Pressing 'R' to repair takes me to a DOS screen, asking me which partition I want to repair, and the only option is C:Windows. Then I get a list of available commands by typing HELP and I get a list of about 40 commands, including ATTRIB, BATCH, FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, MAP, NET, and other stuff like that, most of it I have no idea how to use. That's about all I've been able to do. Thanks so much for your help, and I can try and give more information if you need it.

5. zmaster

zmaster

whats your boot sequence in bios? i am pretty sure xp has an option to delete previous partitions when you go to install xp. Well it did on mine. I just deleted the previous partition/s and xp installed fine. what was your previous OS? and how did you format your hard drive in the first place?

6. SeaShelly3

Is that what I need to do, delete the partition? It's given me that option, but I wasn't sure if that was right. I used to have ME, and when it crashed, I managed to open DOS and format it there. Well, when I get home today I'll try to delete the partition, and then create a new one in its place, I assume? Thanks again for your help, everyone!

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

8. Rightgirl

Rightgirl

Oh Thank you SIMPSWR
    I had to install XP onto a new HD and had no idea how to do it.
    Got to the choose screen (quick ntfs or just ntfs) came to the techguy site, searched for XP install format quick
    Got this thread
    WONDERFUL INFO
    Great link to "install" site
    Thanx again
    you are a lifesaver

(y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice