Installing XP on a computer with no OS.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SeaShelly3

My computer had a major crash 'n' burn kind of thing a few months previously, and I completely formatted it in an attempt to get rid of the problem. I'm just now getting around to getting it set up again, but it's proving problematic. It says I've installed XP, but it wont start up. Instead, when I turn the computer on, it says "press any key to boot from disc" for a moment, before switching to an error message:

Couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
NTLDR: Couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
Booting from the disc takes me back to the installation screen. I've tried the "repair" option it gives me, but I don't understand the commands. Can anyone help me out? I'd appreciate it. ^_^

Hi SeaShelly3,

If you 're using the first repair option that's not the one you want, at the first prompt you want to choose install, it will detect the previous install and offer to repair it that's when you choose repair. Good luck

Are you trying to install XP on a formated disc? Did you press a key to boot from the cd? . .

wrs

SeaShelly3

Jydiver, I'm afraid I don't see where that is. I've gone into the place where it says to select a partition in which to install XP, but I don't see a repair option from there. Here, I can just give a rundown of everything I'm seeing.

*turn on computer*
Compaq screen comes up for a moment
Black screen with white type: Press any key to boot from disc.....
*push a key*
Blue screen: text at bottom says "Press F6 to install a SCSI"
then: Press F2 for Automated System Recovery (asks for a disc which I don't have)
then: loads several windows files and gives a "starting windows" message
Comes up with screen: Press Enter to install Windows XP, 'R' to repair, and F3 to quit installer and restart computer.
Pressing Enter takes me to a partition select page; C: has 16000 or so free MB, D: has about 2000.
Selecting C: says: this drive already has an operating system, installing multiple operating systems may cause them to function improperly, etc. Do you still want to continue?
Saying yes brings up a screen with the following options:
Format drive to FAT system (quick)
Format Drive to NTFS system (quick)
Format drive to FAT system
Format drive to NTFS system
Convert the partition to NTFS
Leave drive as it is

I've tried both FAT and NTFS, and both come up with the same problem. Then it takes me to the format and install page, which takes about 15 minutes to complete, and restarts again, and the whole process starts over.
Pressing 'R' to repair takes me to a DOS screen, asking me which partition I want to repair, and the only option is C:Windows. Then I get a list of available commands by typing HELP and I get a list of about 40 commands, including ATTRIB, BATCH, FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, MAP, NET, and other stuff like that, most of it I have no idea how to use. That's about all I've been able to do. Thanks so much for your help, and I can try and give more information if you need it.

whats your boot sequence in bios? i am pretty sure xp has an option to delete previous partitions when you go to install xp. Well it did on mine. I just deleted the previous partition/s and xp installed fine. what was your previous OS? and how did you format your hard drive in the first place?

SeaShelly3

Is that what I need to do, delete the partition? It's given me that option, but I wasn't sure if that was right. I used to have ME, and when it crashed, I managed to open DOS and format it there. Well, when I get home today I'll try to delete the partition, and then create a new one in its place, I assume? Thanks again for your help, everyone!

Oh Thank you SIMPSWR
I had to install XP onto a new HD and had no idea how to do it.
Got to the choose screen (quick ntfs or just ntfs) came to the techguy site, searched for XP install format quick
Got this thread
WONDERFUL INFO
Great link to "install" site
Thanx again
you are a lifesaver

(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts