1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing XP on a slave drive?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Severeign, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Severeign

Severeign Thread Starter

XP, on my machine, has recently been experiencing a large amount of problems and the general consensus of those who have looked into the matter (who have far more experience in such matters than I) is that the only solution is to format my C drive and reintall XP. Effectively start again afresh.

There is one problem with this however. I have software on the C drive that I use regularly (downloaded with serials...and 'yes', downloaded legally!), where the installation files and activation codes were stored on an external drive. Unfortunately the external drive took a fall and is now inoperable, which means that if I format the C drive I'm looking at having to purchase that software a second time.

So my question is this:

If I were to install XP on on the D drive, will XP on the D drive be able to access and run the software on the C drive whilst hopefully avoiding all of the recent problems?

I'm not sure if this is a viable solution, it just occured to be that it might be possible.

Any ideas gratefully received.

2. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
    Take a look at this APP.
    It should show your Product Keys for each Application you purchased and have currently installed on your PC.

Jim

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Most of them, probably not.

When software is installed it writes a bunch of registry keys for the software to operate properly, these will not be available to the second XP installation, most programs will need to be installed on the new OS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!