1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing XP on a Vista Notebook.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Edzo, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Edzo

Edzo Thread Starter

I've recently bought a new Acer Notebook travelmate 6292 with Vista preinstalled.
    I would like to remove Vista and install XP pro.
    After changing the boot sequence to CDdrive first and inserting the XP disk it goes
    through the install process then comes up with hard drive not installed.
    Normally at that stage it would give me the option of HD to install.
    My intention is to format the HD and install Xp. What am I doing wrong. Help!

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

if it came with vista how can the hd not be installed? have you done something you haven't mentioned?

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you verify that all the hardware has Windows XP drivers? If not, use Vista.

4. Edzo

Edzo Thread Starter

My notebook has Vista installed and working, but when I reboot with the XP disk in it the HD
    is not recognised. Could it be that my XP does not recognise the Mboard and HD?
    I hope not, otherwise I'm stucked with Vista.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Edzo, did you go to the laptop manufacturer's website to verify that you can get drivers for all the hardware for Windows XP? Many new computer manufacturers are not providing drivers for anything other than Vista. If you wipe this hard drive of the operating system it came with, you could find yourself with a largely unusable machine.

I'm not sure if you didn't understand my post or just chose to ignore it. I'd hate to see you (with or without the help of others) wipe out a functioning system only to find out that some of the hardware just won't work anymore.

6. Edzo

Edzo Thread Starter

DHelix, I did not ignore your post. Thanks to all who responded.
    I have taken your advice. I need to find out if Xp drivers are available.
    It still baffles me that XP does not recognise my HD, so even if the drivers are available
    on the Acer website I won't be format my HD.

7. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    What type of hard disk is it? Is it a SATA drive, if so, then you need to press F6 and provide SATA drivers from a floppy disk.

8. Edzo

Edzo Thread Starter

Yes Peter, it is a SATA HD. Where can I get the SATA drivers and I don't have a floppy drive.
    Can I use a USB pen or do I have to burn it on a CD.
    Could you please give me a quick rundown of the procedure for installing. Thanks very much.

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well that's part of the problem. Acer probably doesn't have sata driver for XP because they had no attention of anyone installing XP on that notebook. I don't think you can install the driver, which I doubt exists anyway, any other way than a floppy disk anyway.

10. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    You can download SATA drivers here:
    http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/tm_6292.html

You cannot use a USB or a CDROM as that requires those drives loaded before being able to read them. It must be on floppy disk. Alternatively, you need to merge or slipstream the driver in with XP to produce a XP CD which you can boot from and have the driver ready (most restore disks do this).

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Since almost no new laptops come with floppies, I'd say that option is pretty much out the window.

12. gwashington

gwashington

i have a Gateway notebook [month old] and i was trying to install XP pro...the same issue popped up. It didnt suprise me ,but my issuse is that it freezes up when im on the net and drivers from gateway are downloading...and other times when im using crappy IE..otherwise it rarely does anything bad..for now..im not giving up till i get XP running..got darnit! [just commenting]

13. Edzo

Edzo Thread Starter

I was able to install XP by compiling another XP install disk and including the SATA drivers.
    I have all the drivers except for the Graphics card. Does anyone know where to get them.
    Notebook is Acer Notebook travelmate 6292 and it has the Intel Graphic Media Accelerator GMA X3100. Thanks guys for your help.

14. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    Download Intel VGA Driver 6.14 from the Acer link I gave earlier.
    Also , you can download Intel drivers from here:
    http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/

You will need to identify the chipset and controller you are using before selecting a driver.

15. Edzo

Edzo Thread Starter

Disregard the last request. I found the Video drivers for my Notebook.
    Things are looking good. Now to install all my software. Whew!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590059

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice