Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Installing XP on a Vista Notebook.

35K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  asiftajuddin 
#1 ·
I've recently bought a new Acer Notebook travelmate 6292 with Vista preinstalled.
I would like to remove Vista and install XP pro.
After changing the boot sequence to CDdrive first and inserting the XP disk it goes
through the install process then comes up with hard drive not installed.
Normally at that stage it would give me the option of HD to install.
My intention is to format the HD and install Xp. What am I doing wrong. Help!

#2 ·
if it came with vista how can the hd not be installed? have you done something you haven't mentioned?

#5 ·
Edzo, did you go to the laptop manufacturer's website to verify that you can get drivers for all the hardware for Windows XP? Many new computer manufacturers are not providing drivers for anything other than Vista. If you wipe this hard drive of the operating system it came with, you could find yourself with a largely unusable machine.

I'm not sure if you didn't understand my post or just chose to ignore it. I'd hate to see you (with or without the help of others) wipe out a functioning system only to find out that some of the hardware just won't work anymore.

#6 ·
DHelix, I did not ignore your post. Thanks to all who responded.
I have taken your advice. I need to find out if Xp drivers are available.
It still baffles me that XP does not recognise my HD, so even if the drivers are available
on the Acer website I won't be format my HD.

#8 ·
Yes Peter, it is a SATA HD. Where can I get the SATA drivers and I don't have a floppy drive.
Can I use a USB pen or do I have to burn it on a CD.
Could you please give me a quick rundown of the procedure for installing. Thanks very much.

#10 ·
You can download SATA drivers here:
http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/tm_6292.html

You cannot use a USB or a CDROM as that requires those drives loaded before being able to read them. It must be on floppy disk. Alternatively, you need to merge or slipstream the driver in with XP to produce a XP CD which you can boot from and have the driver ready (most restore disks do this).

#12 ·
i have a Gateway notebook [month old] and i was trying to install XP pro...the same issue popped up. It didnt suprise me ,but my issuse is that it freezes up when im on the net and drivers from gateway are downloading...and other times when im using crappy IE..otherwise it rarely does anything bad..for now..im not giving up till i get XP running..got darnit! [just commenting]

#13 ·
I was able to install XP by compiling another XP install disk and including the SATA drivers.
I have all the drivers except for the Graphics card. Does anyone know where to get them.
Notebook is Acer Notebook travelmate 6292 and it has the Intel Graphic Media Accelerator GMA X3100. Thanks guys for your help.

#17 ·
Things looked good for a while. Now another snag.
I can't get the WiFi to work. Internet works OK when I connect with cable to router, but
wireless does not work. Looked at the Acer site but I cant recognize any drivers for this.
Has anyone got suggestions. Thanks

#19 ·
Acer WiFi comes with common intel package manufactured. This lacks due to unsupported Acer driver can be solved with installing other type of notebook with has the same hardware & supported OS. I was having the same problem too, but now i can connect through WiFi with Windows XP supported driver software provided by Toshiba.

Anyway, thank's to overcome to my blog. If you thought it was helpful, please clicking the ads arround of my blog. I'll be cheer for you.

#20 ·
kokocamp said:
Acer WiFi comes with common intel package manufactured. This lacks due to unsupported Acer driver can be solved with installing other type of notebook with has the same hardware & supported OS. I was having the same problem too, but now i can connect through WiFi with Windows XP supported driver software provided by Toshiba.

Anyway, thank's to overcome to my blog. If you thought it was helpful, please clicking the ads arround of my blog. I'll be cheer for you.
Thanks kokocamp, your blog was helpful. I will click on the ads of your blog. Cheers.

#24 ·
I downloaded all the required drivers from ther acer europe website but the sata drivers needed to extract to a floppy but I can't find one in my office nor my friends I've checked with.

I double clicked on f6flpy32.exe and it doesn't do anything. I tried maping A drive to a usb drive but didn't trick it too..

Anybody can help? Or can somebody help to extract the F6 Sata driver from
ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/travelmate_6292/driver/
and zip them up for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.