Installing XP on second HD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

e_piph_a_ny

I have a Dell Dimension 4300 with 40gb HD (purchased in 2000). I installed a 2nd 120gb HD with two partitions; (P) for the paging file and (V) for digital editing.

I want to install XP on the second HD to a) install SP2 and b) take advantage of its 7200 RPM speed.

I will reconfigure the PC so that the 120gb will be the master and the 40gb will be the slave. Change the BIOS so that the cd drive will be bootable.

Questions:
1) During the installation process of XP, I will partition the 120gb HD as C: but how will the PC recognize the 40gb HD since its formatted as the original c drive?
2) Any suggestions on partitioning the 120gb for performance and security
2) What is the activation process for XP? (previously done by Dell)

Thanks for your assistance.

e_piph_a_ny said:
I have a Dell Dimension 4300 with 40gb HD (purchased in 2000). I installed a 2nd 120gb HD with two partitions; (P) for the paging file and (V) for digital editing.

I want to install XP on the second HD to a) install SP2 and b) take advantage of its 7200 RPM speed.

I will reconfigure the PC so that the 120gb will be the master and the 40gb will be the slave. Change the BIOS so that the cd drive will be bootable.

Questions:
1) During the installation process of XP, I will partition the 120gb HD as C: but how will the PC recognize the 40gb HD since its formatted as the original c drive?
2) Any suggestions on partitioning the 120gb for performance and security
2) What is the activation process for XP? (previously done by Dell)

Thanks for your assistance.
No need for a separate partition for paging file, Windows actually does a good job handling that.

Parition the 120Gb disk into two, one for OS and one for files.

etaf

Wayne
i may be corrected on this - but i would leave the smaller 40G drive as the C drive and make sure the swap file is on the faster drive - also the data and video data is on the faster drive.
Ihave photoshop and have the swap file for photoshop on a 2nd faster drive - but I may be wrong in this setup.

anyway if you install the new drive and create the windows system on the new drive and then connect the old drive up as a slave - you can copy the data and the format to use for data.

as far as partioning the 120GB - I dont knwo the best split for OS v data so again wait for others to advise

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
If you don't want to keep the 40Gb drive as a bootable drive in its existing state I would leave it out of the system while you are installing the new one, otherwise there will be multiboot complications (MS are terrible about handling multiple OSs and just do what they think is best (which it isn't always).
Once the new one is up and running, by all means then re-add the old one to copy files from, then clear it down and use it for back-ups.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
IMO …
You best bet would be to replace the old / slow 40 with a new 80 ( or more) for the OS ..
Then install the 120 as a slave (one partition) for the data and temp working files.

The next best option would be to install the 120 with a smaller C: partition and a larger data partition as previously mentioned.

If you clone your 40 to a new drive, there will be no activation problem.
Just make sure you have the original Windows product code... should be on the side of your case.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online