1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing XP over 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Kay42, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kay42

Kay42 Thread Starter

Hello, I have a relatively easy question....actually, it's probably going to be easy for me to ask but more than likely harder to understand an answer if it's too technical.

5 years ago I had a computer, my first, given to me. Didn't know squat about how to use one but through trial and error I'm now able to manage to keep it on all day without it crashing. For 5 years I've been using Windows 98. Recently my son-in-law gave me his copy of Windows XP so that I could install it on my computer.

My question is, can I just slip this CD in to install WindowsXP or will it be more complicated and out of my level of knowledge?:eek:

Any help would be appreciated

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Probably be best if you don't try. Worst results could be complete loss of the computer or your files.

Sure others here can give you much more advice abut all the issues.

If it is an OEM disk that can with his computer then it will probably screw up your computer. If it is an OEM upgrade disk and your computer was made by a different company it will probably screw up your computer.

If it is a commercially bought (Best Buy, etc.) original install/upgrade disk then it will probably install on your computer if you have the disk validation codes. You would want to chose the upgrade option as a regular install would reformat your hard drive and remove all your files.The install/upgrade program on the disk should automatically do every thing with minimum input.

There are lso legal issues.

3. Kay42

Kay42 Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick response, dlsayremn. I don't want to make a pest of myself by responding to your response but the box this came in says it is an Upgrade for users of Windows 98 and also says the it includes Service Pack 2. It is commercially bought. Is that ok? What did you mean when you mention legal thing?

Thank you for your help.....Kayanna

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If your son-in-law already used that disk and the key it came with on another computer, you can't use it. Otherwise, it should be fine.

5. Kay42

Kay42 Thread Starter

Thank you for the help I've received on my question.:D

6. 192.168.1.0

ive got a windows 98 computer and i wanted to upgrade it to windows 2000 or better without a cd is that possible?:confused:

7. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

I am not a lawyer, but this is my understanding of the legal aspects.

The disk is your son's. He can do anything he wants with it. Use it to upgrrade his or someone else's computer or use it for a coaster. The programs on the disk belong to MicroSoft. He or any one else can only use the programs as outlined in "The License Agreement" that is included with the install. It says that you are allowed to install on only one computer at a time. If he is still using the programs on his computer then legally you cannot install it on yours. If he has removed the programs from his computer, then legally you can install it on your computer.

I don't know if MS has any way of determining and enforcing this except through the License Key and if you don't use the Key the program usually doesn't work. There may be ways to circumvent this, but even if I knew how and told you I would probably be kicked off this forum.

I really want the you to be able to upgrade with no problems.

Would have probably updated my 9 year old 98SE or 8 year old ME ( bought new computer with Vista last year), but I am having to much fun just keeping them running, but understand why you would want to do it. It is rapidly getting to the point where you have to upgrade to XP or buy another computer if you have 98 or ME.

8. Kay42

Kay42 Thread Starter

Thank you, dlsayremn. My son-in-law gave me his XL program because he got a new computer with Vista. I'm not interested in buying a "new and improved" computer, at least not yet. He knows that I've been with 98SE all this time so that's why he gave the program to me. Frankly, I loved the 98SE and really don't want to get rid of it but I find there are a lot of programs nowadays that won't run if I'm using 98SE.

Frankly, I've been afraid to load XL because, as I've said before, I'm totally stupid about this stuff and I'm afraid something will go wrong or that I'll loose all the great programs I've loaded and/or downloaded through the years.

But I do so very much appreciate your help. And I would hate for you to do anything for me that might get you kicked of this forum. Which makes me wonder. On this forum directions they say in a persons account you can't use any pets, cartoon characters, drawings etc. as your photo. You are ONLY allowed to use a personal photo of only yourself! Sooooooo, why do I see so many photos of peoples pets, cartoon characters, drawings etc??????????

9. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Kay42, If he is not using the computer with XP any more Idon't think there should be any problems. You might want to ask about possible problems in the XP forum. There should be plenty of people thwre who have actually done the upgrade and can tell you exactly what things to look for when doing it. Like I said it is fairly stright forward and the program tells you what to do and when to do it.

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

Installing XP over the top of win98 (which is what a upgrade is ) is a recipe for disaster. You will have a much more stable and dependale system if you do a clean install ( which you can do with a upgrade install cd )

What is the brand and Model of the PC?

How much Memory do you have?

The answers to these questions will let us give you some guidence.

11. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

your pc is 5 years old since you took possession of the machine unless its has a speed of at least 500mhz and a memory bank of 512megabytes then XP won't handle your old win98 machine to well.

you would be better off buying a good s/hand machine with a pentium4 processor and at least with the amount of memory mentioned above.. pc's are so cheap to buy these days..

12. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Kay42. Sorry for negative feedback

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice