1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

installing xp pro on 2nd hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikswmn31, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikswmn31

mikswmn31 Thread Starter

i have been running xp pro on my computer for some time with a second harddrive which i just use for storage. my main harddrive that has xp already on it is working fine but i noticed that my 2nd harddrive is way bigger then the one i am using so what i want to do is install xp on the storage drive and set that for my primary hardrive. i tried to install from my cd but it kept telling me not enough room on c drive. which i already know this and it tells me setup cannot go on. it dosent give me an option as to where i want to actually install windows which is drive E.

so i took the main harddrive out and hooked up the storage drive as my primary..... and tried to do a clean install it went thru fine it formated the disc and all,but when it rebooted after the copying part it starts the process of loading set up and format\copying files i already did that, when i removed the xp disc and restarted computer i gt error loading operating system.

is there any easier way to do this? couldnt i just copy everything (operating system and all )over to the storage disk and then use it as primary?

i have norton ghost and tried to copy but it went half way thru and i gt an error so that didnt work either..is there any other better program to clone your harddrive and move it to a diffrent one and make it work lol

i hope you all can understand this i am terriable at trying to explain something lol

my main hardrive that currently has xp pro on it is quantum fireball with 6.99 gb

and the one i want to install windows xp on is a samsung 14.5 gb

as you can see i have more room on the samsung then the quantum fireball
    can someone help

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

You could use Partition Magic to partition your 2nd HDD, and PROBABLY not lose any data. Be sure to backup your data soon.

Then, you could use Norton Ghost 2003 or Acronis' True Image to clone your current C: drive, to include Windows XP to your 2nd HDD.
    Norton Ghost 2003 is no longer available from Symantec, but probably is from an online vendor. Acronis TI is available from www.acronis.com .

Then, turn off the computer. Remove the current primary [ containing C: ] HDD. Configure the jumpers on the 2nd HDD so that it is now the primary master. Turn on your computer. Life should be good.

RF123

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485836

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice