installing xp pro over xp home

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bencpht

I just installed xp pro on the 2nd partition of a pc that has xp home on the first partition. I think I forgot to use the upgrade option and none of the settings were transferrred to pro. Also, I can't boot into home anymore. I get the option to just after POST, but it just reboots if I select xp home. Is there a way to copy the user settings and installed programs to xp pro without being able to boot to xp home. The programs, files, and looks like everything else is still available ithrough win explorer.

HI, You say they are on separate partitions. Well why not use the OS that works and upgrade the other partition. After you finish you can either have a choice of both OS or adjust the menu to only give you the one you want.

Then delete the OS from the partition that is no longer needed. Peace Mal

bencpht

running the upgrade finds the most recent os install, and upgrades the os that already works on part #2...even if the files were copied to the first partition... believe me, I've tried it 3 times, lol

Hi, That's a nuisance. It is a while since I did an install but I thought you could opt to choose where you wanted it to go.

I ended up doing a clean install at one stage and have been alright since. I had two copies of XP Pro and seemed to always be in trouble but I was also running Goback and it might have been the problem. Peace Mal

Yes, GoBack does cause XP problems. The vendor has acknowledge it and they are working on fixing it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online