Installing XP Pro upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kevt

I have an upgrade version Of Win XP Professional that I used to upgrade from Win98SE. So, after a few little issues, I now have a working XP setup. However, there is so much of the junk left over from Win 98 that I would like to tidy up my system somewhat. My idea is to reformat the C: drive to completely remove all the data then install XP Pro as if it were the first OS on this drive. My data is backed up onto the D: drive (a separate HD). My only fear is that the upgrade disk says that it will look for the previous operating system during install. Of course there will not be one. Does this mean I cannot use the upgrade disk in this way? Do I need to reformat, install Win98 and then upgrade to XP Pro?
Thanks in anticipation...

The Upgrade version will work fine for a Clean Install. . During the installation, XP will have you insert your Win98 disc to qualify for the upgrade . .

To perform a clean install, prior to installing, enter BIOS ( Setup ) and make sure the CD/ROM the first boot device. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from cd" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

as is this: http://www.doverproductions.com

You will have to reload drivers and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install the MicroSoft Critical Updates. Alternately, this would be a good time to install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet you should enable the XP firewall.

Good luck and have fun! . . wrs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online