installing xp pro.....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jb123

i am pondering installing xp pro in my comp which now,unfortunately has m.e. on it.
i am told to ,rather than format my drive,since i have about 26 gigs of files etc. on it,to install it parallel,and after the fact move files over to it from the other operating system and then delete m.e.

is this an easy process or would it be easier /better to buy another h/d ,install xp on it and move the files to it.

i am told it is not the best way to install an operating system over another system,or will in fact xp rewrite over m.e..???

i just want to have the best outcome as possible.

no actual best way to do it

without buying a new drive:

backup your data, format your drive, install XP and then install any applications needed, and restore you data (documents, databases, etc)

If you buy a new drive:
remove the old hd, install the new hd, install xp, install your apps, then after its up, running and stable, connect the other drive as a slave and copy any documents you want over.

That said, you can just install xp as an upgrade. I have done it in the past and a lot of times its fine....but in the long run the system is inherently less stable.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts