Installing XP upgrade

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thewolfe

Installing XP upgrade

I have tried to install XP home upgrade and it's not copying all the files to the Windows folder. Keeps asking me if I want to retry or skip. Retry doesn't work so the installation is not working.

Any suggestions? What about trying to install in safe mode?

thewolfe

More info

Installing over Win 98 w/ XP Home Edition on Compaq Deskpro Pent 111 256 MB

Did you scan for virus/malware, run check disk and defrag etc first.

First of all, did you clean up the computer? You need to get rid of any and all junk not needed for XP - you need to run disk cleanup and defrag the HD - and uninstall programs known to be noncompatible with XP. You also need to be sure that you do not have any viruses etc. Then you need to uninstall any antivirus and firewalls you might have. Then try again...

thewolfe

I re-formatted my HD, loaded Win98 on and then tried to load XP upgrade.

There is a dropdown menu during the XP install that asked if I want to upgrade or it says something like do you want a new install. What's that about. Can I install the upgrade w/o out already having an working OS ?

thewolfe

I get to "Installing Windows" and get the following message:

Error:
SXS.Dll: Syntax error in manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\10\MSFT\Windows\GDIPLUS\GDIPLUS.MAN"on line 4.

Error:
Installation Failed: D:\I386\asms. Error Message: Incorrect function.

Fatal Error:
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

Incorrect function

I will check my RAM but was working fine with Windows 98.

thewolfe

My problem was the installation disk. I returned it and got a new copy of Windows XP and had no problem with installation.

Thanks for the posts.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!