1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installing XP; Why Can't I?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Galacticus, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Galacticus

Galacticus Thread Starter

I have been wrestling with this beast for several weeks. Upgrading from ME to XP Home. First, I's the dreaded error 3e6H. I read MS's solution, the clean boot. Didn't help. The problem is inconsistant, though. I have run setup all the way through the analysing stage, but when it reboots,after an inordinately long time, the rboot fails, by which I mean that the system gets to the point where it says, "Checking DMI Pool" (or something much like), then hangs. At this point, I have to boot off a ME floppy, and sys the c drive. This allows me to boot, but setup never resumes.

My Specs...
    MB=Abit BX-6; PII 450mz
    512 mg ram
    C: is 42 gbl D: is 12 Gb, both Maxtor
    E: Teac CDRW; F: Ricoh DVD/CDRW
    3D Prophet GeoForce 256 w/32 mg
    Creative AWE 64
    Avermedia TV Tuner
    Ethernet Card (on Llinksys network router with cable connection. other peer is a Sony Vaio also running ME)

Stuff I've tried...Clean Boot using msconfig, with variations like loading or unloading the network servers to allow for dynamic update, Copying the !386 directory to c: and running WINNT. This almost works also, but same thing...won't boot, I have to sys the c: drive, then it boots into ME without continuing setup. Unloading Norton 2002 Systemworks and Antivirus, both through Norton itself and MS config. I even uninstalled it. Not the problem it seems. I have reinstalled ME, then tried the upgrade.I really want to run the upgrade instead of the full install to keep all my software and settings, but at this point, I am not sure even THAT would take.

Most frustrating....

2. brianF

brianF

You might check for bios updates from abit

Also you may need to pull all non essential hardware and try the install, then reinstall the hardware you removed.

3. Galacticus

I have the lastest update from abit flashed. I tried swapping the 3D Prophet for an older DiamondStealth 3200 I have laying around, but it is a PCI card and the Prophet is AGP. I couldn't get the system up at all using it. I also tried moving the memory card around from bank to bank. That didn't seem to make any difference.

Can I assume that non-essential means everything but the video card?

4. Galacticus

Latest Update...

I can get the installation to go to the first reboot by turning my printer off. This seems to solve the Error 3E6h error. However, the same thing continues to occur: Reboot happens exactly when it is supposed to, but stops after verifying DMI pool data. I have to boot to dos in some way (WInME disk works) and sys the c: drive. This gets me back to ME as if I never left, except for the XP setup files and directories ($WIN_NT$.~BT, et al) and file (Boot.ini, Ntdetect, etc). I have tried booting with the XP CD and using the recovery console in differect ways, Fixboot, Fixmbr, and so on. Seems as if it removes the ME system, but never gets to completely write the XP system.

This is really frustrating .....

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not know if this will help you or not. I was looking at an Abit site and found that some people with nvida chip graphics cards need to update the video card bios to install xp. After you do that, remove all add ins such as modem, sound card, etc. Try the install with just the video card, hd, and floppy drive. Then add you cards one at a time after xp has installed.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One more thought on upgrading from WinMe. I think you will be better off with a clean install. Upgrading can [not always] just perpetuate an error.

7. Rockn

Rockn

Upgrades hardly ever work out well if the original OS isn't completely clean. Did you ever run the compatibility utility to see if all your hardware is up to snuff??

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!