installing XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mad Force

i would like to ask which command should i type to install the XP in a brand new computer?:confused:
Thanks!

XP will install itself. Insert your XPcd,Go into bios/ advanced settings, set the first boot device to CD, save and exit. Once the system reboots follow the prompts and set your partitions and FORMAT, once this is doneand the setup file are loaded the system will reboot. Go back into BIOS and change the first boot device to IDE, second boot device to CD, SAVE and exit. XP should then start to install. PS: To get into BIOS hold down the DELETE KEY or F2 as the startup screen appears.;)

Mad Force

Thanks!
But my problem is i am using a WIN ME startup disk,and when i choose ''start with CD support'' it will jump to DOS A:,and when i put C: ,whatever i type in C: ,i can just see ''Invalid media type reading drice C,Abort,Retry,Fail?''
and if i enter D: ,and typed cd i386>winnt ,it goes into win XP but it saids again ''An internal setup error has occurred,Could not find a place for a swap file,Setup cannot continue''
so i have to return to DOS and do nothing!:confused:

You do not need a me startup disk. You will need to access the bios unless the system is already set to boot from cdrom. If it is take out that floppy and insert the cdrom then reboot the system and follow the onscreen commands

Mad Force

But if i follow what you guys told me,startup from cd-rom,it saids ''Missing Operation System'' and i cant do anything about it!:(

Mad Force

Thanks motherboard,but it doesnt works for me,coz when i choose to boot cd-rom first,it still said ''Missing Operation System''
and if i start it with win ME startup disk,i type ''cd i386''>winnt
it will enter a blue install screen and said there is a internal error occurred.

Bryan

Bryan
I can't tell from your posts, but are you able to start the PC up into Windows ME?

If so, start Windows ME and once ME has started and your at the desktop display, insert the Windows XP CD. It should auto launch and guide you through the install.

on some pc's while it is booting up if you hit the "esc"key a menu will pop up and you can select your boot device

There might be some sort of conflict in you hd. Try booting from your ME boot disk, at the a: prompt type fdisk, the delete the logical dos partition once that is done create a logical dos partition.Once you've done that type format c: with a space between format and c: it might say abort retry fail type f for fail and fomatting should begin. Once formatted set your first boot device to IDE insert the XP cd and it should start to load. Also is your version of XP the full or the update version? ;)

Mad Force

It's working now guys! :)
Thanks!the thing i have to do is format c: one time,and then get a smartdrv.exe from internet,then it works.:D
But still,it did not install automaticlly!

Thats because you have an illigal hacked copy of the OS and I hope its not the image thats been floating around the internet that has several back doors installed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online