installing XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thymekiller

A friend wants to wipe his hard drive, and install WinXP. He wants to use his brother's copy. Is that possible?? I know it needs to be activated to use it-so what happens if you dont?? And what happens if you do, and it has been used once?? If it wont work, I need to tell him, before he gets started.
thyme

Couriant

James
He will need a CD KEY (license) before doing it. And it does not include his brother's. SO legally no, he cannot. Physically yes, and I don't think that activating it will stop the process. But again, legally, NO

Or after the activation notification reaches its limit, your OS will just stop working all together.

thymekiller

I knew about the legal aspects of it, but I knew he was pretty determined, and i just wondered what would happen. I havent known anyone to try it, so I didnt know what it would do-if it would just quit running or what. Thanks for the input.
thyme

It will stop working, I do it all the time. When building a system, I use XP Pro but don't activate it. I use the system on the bench unless it is sold, then I sell the KEY with the machine and they activate it. If after 30 days, I still have the computer, I format, and re-install XP. ONE License per machine.

thymekiller

Thanks for the info. I just wondered if it would really just stop working-makes sense to me.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts