1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installinng xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Fizban140, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fizban140

Fizban140 Thread Starter

About 18 months ago I bought an Asus eeePC 1005ha, it came with xp installed which ran fine. I got bored with that though and I wanted to try some new OSes, so I tried a few linux distros and the Win7 beta. I got bored with linux (never ran correctly, lots of compatability errors with WAN/LAN and mouse) so I got rid of it and reformatted for more room for Win7, well somewhere in that process I got rid of my Winxp boot parition.

Obviously Windows 7 beta ended a while ago so now I need to either pay for it or get XP back somehow, I have tried many times but I just can't get Windows XP to install. I have been attempting to do a USB boot in Windows 7 for XP and it just won't work. I was using this ( http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm) method most recently (tried about four) and I can get it to boot now, but I get the boot\bcd error and the only solution I can find includes using a vista cd to repair it which I obviously can't do.

Any ideas? I tried to put it back on the USB from scratch and it still didn't work.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

It is very difficult to install XP from a flash drive . . any chance you can borrow a external cd drive?

3. Fizban140

Fizban140 Thread Starter

No, I have been asking for six months and no one has one, I could buy one for $50 but I would really rather not.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you have a full version XP CD and have the CD/DVD drive set first in the boot order in the BIOS, boot from the XP CD and let it format the hard drive and do a clean install of XP.

Here is a good pictorial guide to assist you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. Fizban140

Fizban140 Thread Starter

Sorry I should have explained, I have a netbook that does not have a cd drive.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    In that case, a USB external CD/DVD drive is needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Fizban140

Fizban140 Thread Starter

Well I hope wal mart has them.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
  9. Fizban140

Fizban140 Thread Starter

I have no intention of keeping it, and walmart has the best return policy.

Most places are closed today too, walmart never closes.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You should buy and keep a USB external optical drive with your netbook because you'll likely need it again in the future.

----------------------------------------------------------------

11. Fizban140

Fizban140 Thread Starter

That is probably a good idea but I just want to fix my netbook since I have been at this for about 14 hours. I will probably buy one off newegg though.

12. Fizban140

Fizban140 Thread Starter

Using a USB drive I am trying to install windows off a borrowed Windows XP disc, definitely a legitimate copy with hologram and all, it starts fine and when it gets to Loading Windows Files I get a blue screen error, going to take pictures of the whole thing and figure out what is going on. Any ideas?

EDIT:
    Got a picture with my cell phone.

[​IMG]

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice