1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installshield Closes after about 15 seconds

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by drgreen, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drgreen

drgreen Thread Starter

Help, I have Win XP pro and anytime I run an installshield application it will launch and I can click everything in the setup but after about 15 seconds of running it closes. can anyone help me?:confused: oh I guess I should add, somethings will install normally and some won't. sometimes Cd's or Cd images work but most things downloaded don't.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

3. drgreen

drgreen Thread Starter

nope... that wasn't it

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

5. drgreen

drgreen Thread Starter

I can't. I just built this computer and I used my XP disc from my old one. I can't validate and I'm not paying $59 for customer service.

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

What was the make and model of the old computer that this install disk came from?

Actually it does not matter because the install disks written for the other computers processor and motherboard and will not fully function correctly on the newly built one.

You are going to have to purchase a new Microsoft windows install disk with the proper product ID code to get this installed and authenticated.

Actually what you are using according to Microsoft and the rules of legality is not legal.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can call the free 800 number that's displayed in the validation message for validation issues, no need to pay for anything. If your Windows is a legal copy, they'll validate it over the phone.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You cannot use a disk that came with a system to install on another system. OEMs [the type of xp that comes with systems] lives and dies with the original hardware. Once the original hardware is no longer in use, you have no legal licence for the use of the software.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hence my point in the previous message. :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!