1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Installshield problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by btgoates, Oct 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. btgoates

btgoates Thread Starter

I can no longer install any program with installshield. The process goes about 3/4th the way through and hangs up, no error message, it just stops. I have been able to install a program in safe mode but the program then does not work correctly.

I also tried to uninstall a program and that process hangs up also. Please someone help so I don't have to reformat!!!

2. Scorpion

Scorpion

First thing I would do is check the system files.

Drop your operating system Cd into the drive, and click Start>Run, and type 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes, and hit enter. Let it run, might take a while. This will compare the system files on the machine with those on the Cd. WARNING, YOU MAY NEED TO UPDATE AGAIN AFTER PERFORMING THIS ACTION, AS IT REPLACES NEWER FILES WITH OLDER ONES. This is because the System File Checker (SFC) sees any newer files as modified, so replaces them. So make sure to run windows update afterwards.

If that doesn't fix it, come back.

Scorp.

3. btgoates

btgoates Thread Starter

Scorp,

The 'sfc /scannow' worked, but now when I try to do the windows update I get an error
    "Updates were unable to be successfully installed
    The following updates were not installed:
    Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)"

I have not tried to install any new programs, I thought I should have the system files updated first. I did try to reboot, now I don't get the same error message, but the windows update hangs up.

BTGoates

4. Scorpion

Scorpion

Hmmmm....weird, as that is a new addition to the microsoft anti-piracy set of tools, so shouldn't be affected.

Anyhow, try this...if it is a legitimate version of windows, try going into IE and go to "Tools\Manage Add-ons". Once you are in there, switch the show selection to "Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer". Scroll down until you see the Windows Genuine Advantarge control. Then click on disable. Exit IE and go back to Windows Update, and you should go right in.

Let us know how it goes.

Scorp.

5. btgoates

btgoates Thread Starter

Finally I did get the windows updates, they just magically showed up. You gotta love/hate microsoft.

Unfortunately the original installshield problem still occurs. The program hangs up with no error message at about 3/4th the way through.

Any thing else you can think of?

Thanks for your help.

BTGoates

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/406857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice