1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

InstallShield

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by xfilesgurly2, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xfilesgurly2

xfilesgurly2 Thread Starter

I can't install anything, and I suspect I won't be able to uninstall anything either.

I have searched the Internet for a solution and tried the suggestions, but it won't work.

What's happening is if I try to install a program the Install initialises, but when the progress bar comes up, even before it begins to do anything, i get an error saying "An installation support file could not be installed. Interface not registered."

I have tried:

Deleting the Engine folder.
    Reinstalling the Engine from the InstallShield website - this obviously doesn't work because InstallShield doesn't work...
    Deleting a registry key: "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\InprocServer32".

Another reply here suggested reinstalling IE, but I can't, as when I try to run the install file it says there is a newer version of IE6 already on my machine.

Is there anything else I can do?

What even caused it? I can't even try System Restore because I don't know when it was... I haven't installed anything in ages.

I am using an otherwise well-behaved (and clean) PC running XP sp2. I am the sole user.

The last successful instalation of anything was Windows Update last week, and the last third-party program was FirefoxDeploy and that was about a fortnight or so ago, but I don't know if that used InstallShield.

Please help! And Merry Christmas!!

2. Rache

Rache Banned

3. xfilesgurly2

That didn't fix it. :(

I discovered I can still install programs that use Wise, but just not InstallShield. :(

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. xfilesgurly2

Yeah the InstallShield website was the first place I looked for info - it didn't work because to install the updated engine you needed InstallShield to be operational... bizarre thinking there!

I'm going to try the other Microsoft thing... will let you know.

Thanks so much for help so far, you two.

6. xfilesgurly2

Didn't work. :(

It said it couldn't install because my version of Windows is more up-to-date that the program.

7. Rache

Rache Banned

You CAN reinstall IE, so that avenue's worth trying:

To resolve this issue, unregister the Comcat.dll file by using the Regsvr32.exe utility with the /u switch as in the following example: (use cmd for command prompt)
    regsvr32 /u C:\winnt\system32\comcat.dll

and rename the Comcat.dll file in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.

After you unregister the Comcat.dll file, reinstall Internet Explorer.

For information about how to rename a file, click Start, click Help, click the Index tab, type renaming, and then double-click the "Renaming files" topic.

If you remove Internet Explorer before you reinstall it, be sure to rename the Comcat.dll file after removing Internet Explorer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/310405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice