1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Instant Email Notification" improvement suggestion

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by lotuseclat79, Feb 3, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

One of the nice features is that a member can check a box in their user profile to get an "instant email notification" if there is a new post to a thread that the member to which the member becomes subscribed. The other side of the coin is that it seems that I don't always get notified - but that is another entirely different matter than what I am proposing as an improvement here in this post.

I have noticed that I will get a bunch of emails from the same thread before I even have had a chance to look at the earliest post after I became subscribed to the thread.

In light of other websites that have a feature to not issue any more email notices until you revisit the thread (I don't know how that can be detected), it seems to me a waste to have multiple emails sent out prior to a member revisiting the thread to which subscribed, i.e. when the "instant email notification" box is checked - i.e. in order to look at the first reply afterward to a post or subscription to a thread by the user.

It would be less of a performance hit on TSG to not issue multiple new posting email notices to subscribed threads in such cases, and certainly less work and traffic email-wise for TSG - and therby an improvement in the operation of TSG software.

Hope this helps to improve TSG.

-- Tom

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect the performance hit of determining if the email had already been sent would need to be considered. :)

I have seen other boards that work the way you describe, so this may simply be a setting in the board software.

3. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Hmm... In my TSG emails I used to get "No more notifications will be sent until you visit the thread."

Is that what you are talking about?

4. JohnWill

Yes, it says that, but notifications still keep coming. I've seen half a dozen in my inbox for a busy thread before I get back.

5. lotuseclat79

My guess is that upon subscription or posting (which automatically subscribes you) then you are the last post (or should be roughly unless someone posts simultaneously the same time you post), and after you have been sent the email regarding another post to the thread, you should only get that one email, i.e. when your last post gets superceeded, until you revisit the thread.

The trick is to detect when you revisit a thread you are subscribed to, and zero out the sent email attribute - i.e. the trick is in the detection of your revisit, I suspect.

-- Tom

6. lotuseclat79

Interestingly, in this AM's email from TSG, at the end of each email is the following:

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications
    until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
    Tech Support Guy Forums

The problem with such a statement is that since I do not logout from TSG, then how would TSG know when I visit or not? Especially, since it only appears to include the entire TSG website and not a specific thread visit.

This brings to mind another question that if someone is logged into TSG and actually cruising the website, instead of sending email, wouldn't it make sense to have an override for that feature and instead have a link popup to the thread response - i.e. only while the member is at TSG? Just thinking out loud! :)

-- Tom

7. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

I hve had problems with so many emails in my inbox that new ones are bounced back to poor TSG .. sorry about that .. then all emails are stopped lol

I dont check my emails asoften as i should

8. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    If you don't log out, the system assumes that you're no longer here after you haven't loaded a page in a certain number of minutes (30, maybe?)

9. poochee

poochee

I have been getting email notifications that are 1 and 2 days old. About 5 in the last two days. Just got one dated Feb 2. Wonder why?

Thanks in advance

10. JohnWill

Mike and Dan are tinkering with the board software. ;)

11. poochee

poochee

Thanks!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice