1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Instant Messaging problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jumbosmom, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jumbosmom

jumbosmom Thread Starter

Hello, I need some help on a problem with Yahoo Messenger. I hadn't used Yahoo Messenger for about 3 weeks, and when I tried to use it this weekend, it would not connect. My computer is a Dell Dimension 2400, with Windows XP. I have determined that the problem began when I inadvertently got Hotbar installed on the computer when I downloaded a photo for the desktop. At that time I was having problems with Hotbar pop-ups, even though I had a pop-up blocker. So I uninstalled the Hotbar, after trial and error finding everything that it took to get rid of it. I got a message from Hotbar that the program had been uninstalled, but now when I try to access Windows Messenger, I type in my user name and password and then a window pops up saying that Yahoo was unable to sign me in and to check and be sure I am online. It also says Lan/Firewall users need to set the proxy settings. Well, I have dial-up connection, and it doesn't matter if my firewall is enabled or disabled, I get the same message. My internet server says there are no proxy setting for dial-up connections. So, I uninstalled Yahoo Messenger, downloaded it from Yahoo and re-installed it, and then I got an error message that the "specified .dll module could not be found." (It didn't say which .dll module was the specified one. ) In addition, I tried using System Restore to take the computer back to a point where everything was working correctly, but that also restored Hotbar and I still couldn't connect to the Yahoo Messenger. I am able to do everything else online and to access the Yahoo home page, as well as my Yahoo e-mail. The only other thing I have noticed is that my daughter cannot connect to her Hotmail account. So, I dowloaded PC Mighty Max and ran a system check with it. It says that are a number of files missing. Here are the ones that are listed:

System32/dx3j.dll
    aolshare/shell/w/shellext.dll (I had uninstalled the AOL program as I don't use it)
    jao.dll (listed as a Downloaded program file, but I don't know what downloaded program)
    System 32/msjava.dll
    MSSQL7/servr.exe
    ORUN32.exe
    System32/cmmgr32.exe
    Dowlo~1/YINSTH~l.dll
    Yahoo!/Messen~a/YHEXBM~1.DLL
    Yahoo!/Common/yaddbook.dll
    Yahoo!/Common/ymmapi.dll

Obviously, some of the needed files for the Yahoo Messenger program are missing, even after re-downloading and re-installing the program. My friend, a computer programmer, says that the Hotbar program must have overridden a needed file for Yahoo Messenger and that when I deleted Hotbar, it must have deleted a file I needed (uh, yeah, I figured that out myself).
    I went to a .dll download site and downloaded the dx3j.dll file, but it is sitting in a file on my desktop and I don't know what to do with it to put it back into the program it came from. It appears to belong to DirectX Java program.

The question is, how do I restore the files for Yahoo Messenger, and how important are all of the files that I listed above, and how do I restore them?
    Any help in getting my Yahoo Messenger going again will be much appreciated, as it is the messenging program I use most often. My grandkids have MSN Messenger installed, and it seems to work fine. Am I going to have to re-format the whole computer to get this going again?

Help!

2. GrumpyHermit

GrumpyHermit

Welcome to TSG!

It might be that sfc scannow will work on your problem, since it seems to fit in with the requirements for using that command. Here is a link to the sfc scannow tutorial:

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

What this command does is run a scan on important system files and replace any that have been damaged/overwritten. Once you have tried this, you will probably need to run a Hijack This! log to make sure that all vestiges of Hotbar have truly been removed. I'm not experienced enough to do that, but there are other people here who are. :)

Bob

3. jumbosmom

jumbosmom Thread Starter

Bob, Thank you for your help. I am not familiar with either sfc scannow or Hijack This!, but I will be checking it out. It just seems a shame to have to reformat just because this one program is having problems.

Any other assistance will be much appreciated.
    Connie

4. GrumpyHermit

GrumpyHermit

Connie, you shouldn't have to reformat for a minor problem like this. As I advised in my previous post, go ahead and try sfc scannow and report your results back in this thread so that we know how things worked out. Once we get the first problem fixed, one of the experts can go over a Hijack This! log for you and advise you about any spy/adware still lurking on your system. A link and quick tutorial to Hijack This! can be found here.

It would also be worth paying a visit to the Security forum and review the sticky thread called How Did I Get Infected In The First Place? This is a good source of information about spy/adware and how to avoid it. You can find a good set of freeware security utilities in this thread to help you prevent infection by spy/adware; I recommend Ad-Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and SpyWareBlaster. IE-Spyads is also good.

In any event, please try to let us know how your repairs work out. Good luck!

Bob

5. jumbosmom

jumbosmom Thread Starter

Bob, I ran sfc /scannow with no problems, but nothing has changed. I am still unable to connect to Yahoo Messenger. In the tutorial for scannow, it mentioned the Dilcache, and it said that if the Dilcache folder or any part of it has become corrupted, you would have to use the XP CD to get a clean copy. I viewed the Dilcache file, but of course, I have no clue what everything is that I am looking at. In any event, I did not receive a prompt from scannow to use the XP CD. So, I'm no worse off, but no better off yet either. I'm going now to look at both Hijack This! and the security forum you mentioned.
    Connie

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice