1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Instant Presenter - Uploading old recordings

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by gnewing, Jun 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gnewing

gnewing Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I am trying to upload some older webinar recordings on to our website. The software we used was called Instant Presenter, which is a now discontinued with no technical support options (it was changed to "Any Meeting"). I was wondering if anyone here is familiar enough with this software to help me upload these recordings.

The recordings downloaded in .zip format and, when you open them, there are a number of .flv, .xml, java script files and shockwave flash objects. The readme file in the .zip folder says that you should click the "default.html" file contained in the .zip folder in order to play the webinar. This doesn't seem to work and, as far as I know, would not be in a format that would be possible to upload in any case....

The largest .flv file contains video and audio of the main speaker for the webinar, but does not include the PowerPoint or any other aspects of the interface (what people have typed, other speakers, etc...)

Does anyone know how I might upload these recordings in a way that contains the speaker's audio and video as well as all other aspects of the webinar interface (especially the PowerPoint) ?

Thanks!

Greg

2. Xsage

Xsage

First Name:
    Dave
    Judging on the file types you have listed, what the readme says should be true.

It sounds like they assemble everything in the .zip into a html "webpage".
    A 'html' file is a a common webpage format, so in theory puting the html file aswell as any other resources the html file uses on your webserver will be "uploading" the webinar.

The first step is to find out why the html file isn't working, if you open it in a webbrowser and hit F12 on your keyboard, this will open the developer tools. If you click on the console tab, it will log any errors on the webpage that are preventing things from being executed. It will likely be that you do not have a suitable version of flashplayer installed or the browser is blocking it as many browsers have already stopped supporting flash - so you will need to look up how to enable it.

Apart from that I'm not sure without being able to take a look at the zip file myself.

3. gnewing

gnewing Thread Starter

Thanks Xsage for the reply - I opened the html file in chome and opened the developer tools. The console tab listed this:

Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND styles.css:1

Opening it in Edge listed this:

HTML1300: Navigation occurred.
    default.html (1,1)

HTML1527: DOCTYPE expected. Consider adding a valid HTML5 doctype: "!DOCTYPE html>".
    default.html (1,1)

HTML1521: Unexpected "/body>" or end of file. All open elements should be closed before the end of the document.
    default.html (61,1)

HTML1405: Invalid character: U+0000 NULL. Null characters should not be used.
    default.html (61,8)

HTML1507: Unexpected character: U+0000 NULL. Null characters should not be used.
    default.html (61,8)

HTML1521: Unexpected "/body>" or end of file. All open elements should be closed before the end of the document.
    default.html (61,9)

Firefox had this:

file:///C:/Users/gregn_000/Desktop/2015-2017/2017/Work/ABS/Webinars/2015-05%20Ehsani/Recording/default.html
    file:///C:/Users/gregn_000/Desktop/2015-2017/2017/Work/ABS/Webinars/2015-05%20Ehsani/Recording/default.html
    file:///C:/Users/gregn_000/Desktop/2015-2017/2017/Work/ABS/Webinars/2015-05%20Ehsani/Recording/styles.css
    file:///C:/Users/gregn_000/Desktop/2015-2017/2017/Work/ABS/Webinars/2015-05%20Ehsani/Recording/swfobject.js

---

I am not sure what this means, is it something clear for you?

4. Xsage

Xsage

First Name:
    Dave
    It looks like the styles sheet can't be loaded because the link in the HTML file is pointing elsewhere.
    Try putting styles.css inside of a folder called "css" so the path will be "Recordings/css/styles.css".

You can examine the HTML file to see how the style sheet has been linked.

It also seems like there are a lot of errors on line 61 of the html file. But I imagine it should run with those error though.

5. gnewing

gnewing Thread Starter

Thanks again for your reply - and sorry for my late reply!

It seems that there is no styles.css file in the folder... any idea why this would be the case?

6. Xsage

Xsage

First Name:
    Dave
    Hey Greg,

Sorry for the delayed reply.
    You could be experiencing issues if you have upgraded to a newer operating system which the software does not support, or some other dependencies such as flash might require an older version. That would be my first guess.

If you're able to upload the zip somewhere for me to have a look I wouldn't mind seeing if I can work out how to piece it together. I cant guarantee I can get it working though.

7. gnewing

gnewing Thread Starter

Hi Xsage,

No problem at all - thanks for keeping up with this. I will pm you a .zip file of one of the webinars. I will also include the PowerPoint for the presentation. The .ppt wasn't included in the .zip, but it is included in the folder containing the webinar.

8. Xsage

Xsage

First Name:
    Dave
    Hey Greg,
    Doesn't look good I'm afraid, I found out that it uses active X and seems to get further in loading on Internet Explorer. However it still doesn't load the presentation, there are no exceptions caused by the scripts so it seems to be executing everything as it should but nothing is happening.
    As far as I'm concerned, this could be down to 2 things:
    1) There is something else missing from files. Although if this was the case I would expect the scripts to throw exceptions.
    2) The software is no longer supported on newer systems. I don't know how old the software is, or what operating system and versions of flash and what browser you are using. But often the main cause of companies to discontinue support for their software is because the technology they rely on, such as webbrowsers, flash and activeX all change too frequently or drastically for them to keep the software stable and working without having to redevelop everything from scratch using newer technologies.

Did you have any systems that this worked on in the past prior to you doing any upgrades? - It might be worth trying to run it on that and not doing any upgrades on it.

Apart from that, I'm not sure there is anything anyone here can do.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice