1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Instant Shutdown with WLAN

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jakej78b, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakej78b

jakej78b Thread Starter

I have a dell vostro 1710 laptop that I've just finished putting back together and I ran into a problem immediately that as soon as I boot into windows, the PC immediately shuts down. Power cord has been plugged in and unplugged, makes no difference either way. I believe the problem is within my WLAN socket, when I remove the card, everything goes smooth and works fine. I don't think it's the card itself because I have switched out the card for another one and it seems to make no difference. I can successfully use an external WLAN usb device, but this is an inconvenience. Anyone have any ideas why WLAN can cause my computer to instantly shut down? Also, if I switch the wifi switch to the off position, I can startup and run fine, but as soon as I switch it to on the computer instantly shuts down. It was all working fine about 2 weeks ago then after I came back from leaving it unattended, and it was shutdown, I didn't think anything about it then I restarted it and it instantly died. It would seem like the laptop dies when the WLAN card receives power (this doesn't happen in POST?) because I can run the PC fine in safe mode (assuming because safe mode doesn't power up the WLAN card) The computer is windows 7, I have 4gig of ram, and a duo core processor.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

3. CleaverX

CleaverX

Boot the computer using a rescue disk in PE mode, (a version of Windows that loads from the disk), then switch your wifi adapter on and see what happens. If it still shuts down, then you have a physical issue with the motherboard.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146812

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice