1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Instant upgrade to sp2 or not

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nsh, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nsh

nsh Thread Starter

This week i'll be upgrading/buying a new system (amd64) and leaving my win98 system behind.

WinXP sp1 will be installed as standard and i was wondering if i would really need sp2 right now?
    I never use IE as a standard browser (;mozilla-clone) and i'll use standalone programs for my firewall/viruschecker/spy-&ad-removal for the rest.

So should i just wait for all the bugs to be fixed or do you recommand to install the sp2 file right after i'd bought the new pc? (so even before i installed all the internet connections and firewalls etc).

After reading all the threads here i'm kinda confused what the best option might be.

Thanks in advance.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

There really are very few bugs in SP-2 . . the problems some have are due to pre-existing spyware, malware, viruses and junkware . . you should not have these prexisting issues and a imidiate upgrade will likely go well . . I have installed SP-2 on over 25 machines with one issue . . with a third-party program that has since been patched.

The upgrade from the full download or the Micorsoft disc seem to cause the fewest [problems

wrs

3. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

4. nsh

nsh Thread Starter

thanks for the replies and i'll let sp2 be for the moment and just wait another month or two.

ta

5. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy nsh, Just to let u know I have been running XP home edition for a couple of years, just installed SP2 (accidentally, I was going to block it) and haven't had any probs at all. It picked up that I use Zone Alarm as a firewall, so turned its off, hasn't caused any crashes at all and the only slight if was that it didn't think I had an antivirus running as for some reason, it didn't pick up NOD32 by Eset labs. I have heaps of anti spyware on board and have about 33 processes on startup etc and so far, (touch wood) have had no probs!! A new system should be safer still!!

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Been running SP2 since Beta RC1

On 4 PC's zero problems.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!