1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Instantly crashing in massively multiplayer games

Discussion in 'Games' started by noviere, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noviere

noviere Thread Starter

I recently re-activated my FFXI account, and have been crashing to the dekstop without an error message almost instantly as soon as I get my character into the game. The same problem happened with Lineage 2, and more recently(ie: today) with the City of Heroes beta test. About 2 months ago I played FFXi with no troubles(and have never had trouble with online games in the past). My hardware hasn't changed since then.

I'm running:
    Windows XP
    Athlon 2400+ (2.0gHz)
    768 MB Ram
    GeForce 4 ti4600 w/ 128 MB
    DSL connection(via home LAN)

I spoke with FFXI's tech support yesterday, and they told me that it was because there were blocked ports that needed opening -- he told me this after I gave him my ip address. So I plugged my internet connection directly into my PC, bypassing the LAN(and hopefully the blocked ports). I would've just opened the ports, but the computer that controls the internet connection uses an old program called Psygate that is near worthless :p

The problem persisted. I called the tech support guy back, and gave him my new IP address(which was completely different) and he told me it was still a private IP address, and said my connection was still be routed to my computer.

At this point, I'm at a loss for what to do. I don't know much at all about networking, but I don't understand how I could have blocked ports if my connection to the internet is coming right out of the wall.

Any insight would be great.

2. amphibian

amphibian

As an avid FF fan, and soon be to playing FFXI, I feel your pain.

There are specific ports that need to be opened in order to play online games. Some games can use the generic game port (cant remember what it is), while others need a specific port to be opened in order to play.
    My suggestion would be to post this problem in the network forum. Perhaps someone there has used Psygate, and/or knows how to open up the game port for that software. Best of luck!

3. noviere

noviere Thread Starter

I picked up a router on Thursday, and opened the ports for City of Heroes and FFXI and things seemed to be working well. I managed to play CoH for several hours without problem, and played a little FFXI as well(about an hour and a half) and didn't crash.

Today I logged in, and everything was fine for a while. The an in-engine cutscene took place and I crashed to desktop instantly without an error message. I logged back in, tried again and it crashed again during the same scene. Logged in again, and crashed again before I could move.

I spoke to a few friends, and they've suggested that it could possibly be a power issue, but I believe my power supply is 300 watts(though maybe there is something wrong with it). Maybe it could be a heating issue as well. I dont really know much about either of these things though, so I'm not sure I want to spend money on a new case/supply only to find out that's not the problem :p

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice