1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

insufficient disk space for disk optimization

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dingle1001, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dingle1001

dingle1001 Thread Starter

I am using Windows XP Home Edition.

When i try using Norton360 to carry out disk optimization, i get the error message
    "Drive C: Insufficient Free Disk Space, Need 15% free"

I can't believe that i have used or am using 85%.

All advice appreciated

2. jbm1991

jbm1991

go to my computer and beside the HDD C: (or whatever letter your hard drive uses) there will be information saying what the capacity is in gigabytes, and and how much memory is being used, also in gigabytes. if this information is not there, rich click on the HDD icon anc click properties, under the "general" tab you will be confronted by a pie-chart with how much it can hold, and how much you are using. report back on the amounts :)

3. dingle1001

Thanks jbm1991 for the advice...I have found this info:-

Used Space 12.9 GB
    Free Space 1.04 GB

The "Compress drive to save disk space" is not checked.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Try deleting old Temp Files, Internet Cache, old Windows updates, System Restore (if you don't need it right now). But these are just stop-gap measures. The real problem is you have XP installed on only a 14 gig drive or partition.

Might consider changing that.

5. dingle1001

Thanks Bob. Is it best if i just go into a computer shop and ask them to upgrade my laptop to a 40 gig? 80 gig? how many gigs can i get?;)

6. jbm1991

jbm1991

yeah, i agree with bob there. you could do with a bigger hard drive. what you could do, is ask the computer shop to transfer all the files from that hard drive onto your new hard drive so you wouldnt even loose any data :)

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have them check what size your computer can handle. Then also look at how much you need and how much they cost.

8. dingle1001

My thanks to you both for your very useful advice. I shall be popping to the shop this weekend.

Ps. I have recently installed Virtual Earth - could it be this application that is using most of my memory and hence slowing my pc down?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!