1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

insufficient memory to run MS Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Espoo, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Espoo

Espoo Thread Starter

Cleaned up a friend's win95 120 MHz 48MB 1 GB Compaq laptop. It's
    working great already and may even be faster than his Windows ME PC once
    i add some RAM and delete Internet Explorer with www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html.

There's one problem left. He'd installed MS Office on top of MS Word
    instead of uninstalling it first. It seems that MS does not bother to
    warn users to first uninstall previous versions of MS Office
    applications. (In fact, even if users do this, the uninstall process
    doesn't do a clean uninstall as i learned on the excellent www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm )

So even though he had both MS Office and Word 97 in his Control Panel,
    trying to uninstall Word only produced an error message. Since there is
    not much room on the hard disk, i decided to delete the unnecessary Word
    97 folder. Now, Word won't start even though it's still in the Office
    folder.

I tried all the tricks on
    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/InsufficientMemory.htm
    and
    http://www.theofficeexperts.com/cleanyourpc.htm
    and read everything i could find on this forum.

He doesn't have the installation CD and is quite happy with getting
    www.openoffice.org instead of MS Word (especially since it's compatible
    with MS Word and is as good, free, and safer), but i don't want to give
    up that easily. I will install OpenOffice too, but i'd like to crack
    this nut. I'm sure there's just some registry setting that needs to be
    corrected.

Thanks for any help!

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm is actually the troubleshooting link.

At this point, however, what do you want to accomplish?

Office HAS Word in it, so why do you need Word separately? Or, perhaps you have one version of Word, and another version of Office and you want both? If so, WHAT are those versions?

3. Espoo

Espoo Thread Starter

What i'm trying to accomplish is to make Word work. In other words, it won't run, and i get this thread's subject as an error message when i try to open a Word document or directly doubleclick on winword.exe. As i wrote, Word won't start even though it's still in the Office folder.

I know Office has Word in it; that's why i deleted the second, superfluous installment. Probably something minor has to be changed in the registry because Word worked fine and there was no memory error message before i deleted the separate Word installment (by brutally deleting the Word folder because the Control Panel's software removal applet didn't work).

In fact, now none of the other Office applications will start either. It would seem to a non-expert like me that because the standalone Word version was installed separately first that when Office was installed a year later on top of Word that Office's Word and Excel etc. were somehow entered into the registry as part of Word.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Okay, go to the tips and tricks and search for my post on "removing Office" completely.

Then do that.

Then reinstall just Office. To be safe, do a CUSTOM install and put it into a folder called C:\OfficeXX (xx being 2k or 97 or whatever the version of Office is).

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
  6. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    One more thing for you: also, at any point before re-install, search and delete all files on the hard drive called normal.dot

To ENSURE that you've done it, make sure you're viewing hidden and system files and file extensions in Windows:

Double-click My Computer
    HIt Tools-Folder Options
    Hit the View tab and choose the appropriate settings there.

7. Espoo

Espoo Thread Starter

Thanks, but as i wrote, he doesn't have the installation CD anymore. He got Office as a student and perhaps never even got the CD. I was hoping there was a way to correct the existing installation. I'm sure that reinstalling Office would be no problem, especially with your excellent extra info that MS "forgets" to mention, but that's not an option.

What should the Office registry keys look like? I could probably correct them manually to let Windows realize there is "only" Office here and not an Office version registered "under" or on top of a standalone Word.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!