1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Insufficient Power supply cause overheating?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by orchlon, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. orchlon

orchlon Thread Starter

Okay i heard that insufficient power supplies cause system failures reboot or crash or something like that. But does an insufficient power supply cause overheating? I have a 380W PSU I believe it has 320W-380W on it and my PC specs are.
    Q6600 stock
    8GB DDR2 800mhz
    GTX260 my CPU is overheating reaching 100c but i'm replacing the thermal paste with arctic silver 5 soon. But my GPU is reachihng 88c can it handle it?

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there, 380w is no where near enough for that setup. I don't know whether it could cause overheating but I am sure that it will start causing some issues soon. What computer is it (If it is a company made computer) or what PSU is it if it is a custom built PC. Also what case have you got if it is custom built?

Jack-O-Bytes

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

4. orchlon

orchlon Thread Starter

Well the cooler is removed by a screwdriver rather than push pins. I took it and cleaned it with some alchohol and stuff and it was perfectly clean i applied thermal paste using the line method it works better for quad core. I then placed the heatsink on it without spreading the thermal paste so it spread by itself. Got a 4c difference there but it's still not enough. Also how is a CPU not designed for heavy gaming of course the standard cooler may not be suitable for overclocking but shouldn't it be enough for the stock speeds. And i've been using this 380W power supply for about a year now before i had a 9600GT. Well the thermal paste was really low quality and i'm getting some AS5 in a few days

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

I assumed that you were using the standard Intel cooler that was packaged with the Q6600 processor since in post #4 of this thread; http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/974795-q6600-92c-full-load.html

you stated; Q6600 2.4GHZ stock cooler

Now in this thread in post #4 you state; Well the cooler is removed by a screwdriver rather than push pins.

The cooler can't be a stock cooler since all Intel stock coolers for socket 775 processors used "push pins" to secure the cooler to the motherboard.

You need to post the exact make and model of the cooler that is installed on the processor on your motherboard.

You also need to supply the following information.

#1-The exact make and model of your power supply with a link to the power supply if possible. If you cannot provide a link to the power supply, please take a picture of the decal that should be located on the side of the power supply that provides power output information. If you can't supply either a link to the power supply, or a picture of the decal please post all the information located on the decal on the side of the power supply.

#2-Describe the thermal design of the chassis, i.e. the number and size of intake fans located on the front portion of the chassis, the number and size of the exhaust fans located on the rear of the chassis (excluding fans located in the power supply) and the number and size of any other fans installed in the chassis and where they are located.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are REALLY asking for a problem running a quad core cpu, 8gig ram, and a nvidia 260 video card with that pw supply.

You are doing the same thing as running the engine in your car at full throttle all of the time. How long do you think it is going to last like that???

Nvidia recommends a minimum of 500W for that card.

7. orchlon

orchlon Thread Starter

well i thought it was the stock cooler but maybe not. http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2788/cimg5448.jpg this is what was on the side of the PSU. It's in chinese i'm not sure you would understand and what's a chassis? sorry english is not my native language. The fan says thermal master on it and nothing else. Also how do you apply thermal paste on screwed coolers? i just put a line and place the cooler on top of it and screwed it in. Also it always boots with the CPU fan error press F1 to continue message and the fan is spinning at 2377 RPM full load or idle.

8. orchlon

orchlon Thread Starter

Worked well for a year and i can get 60fps in mass effect 2.

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

The minimum power supply requirements for a Q6600 processor is 13A continuous and 16.5A peak for at least 10ms.

The pic you posted of your power supply decal indicates that it only has 25 Amps available on the +12v1 and +12v2 rails. In reality since no other information is available it most likely is only capable of approximately 20 Amps output on the +12v rails. A power supply should not be "stressed" to provide more than 70-80% of the maximum output.

Since the specs for the GTX 260 card requires 500 watts (per post #6) I personally would integrate a 650 watt power supply such as this one to run your machine without the worry of "stressing" the power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

You may very well get away with an undersized power supply for awhile, however when that power supply blows (which will eventually happen) you run a considerable risk of not only having to replace the power supply, but may also wind up replacing your motherboard and other board components.

You still need to supply the thermal design of the chassis (chassis = case). You have 2 separate issues with your machine, #1-The power supply, and #2 Processor cooling. I can pretty well guarantee you the temperature of the Q6600 is not 100°C. There were two models (steppings) of the Q6600. The first was the sSpec processor SL9UM which was a B3 stepping and had a Tc temperature of 62.2°C and the second was the processor sSpec SLACR which had G0 stepping and a Tc temperature of 71°C (Tc = max operating temperature).

On Q6600 processors ThermalTrip is activated at approximately 20°C above Tc and the processor would shut down completely, thus a processor with B3 stepping would completely shut down at approximately 82.2°C and a processor with G0 stepping would completely shut down at approximately 91°C.

I recommend that you get a processor cooler that is rated for a TDP of 130 watts to use with either model Q6600 processor.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

And your point is???
    When you do things like what you are doing, do not ask why it is giving you problems.
    Either get a quality pw supply or live with it. The choice is yours.

Just think about it for a minute. You are over-stressing the pw supply. It generates more heat because of what you are making it do. Where do you think that heat goes? Into the case to heat up other parts.

11. orchlon

orchlon Thread Starter

i can't spend 90 bucks for a power supply i don't have that kind of resources it will take me a while to save that up. I heard from a guy who was running 4 way SLI with a 1500W power supply say that a power supply can handle a rig that demands more than it. I also ran furmark and CPU stress test for 5 minutes and my PSU wasn't generating much heat it was colder than an HDD. I'm getting some AS5 soon it takes a while to ship here i hope it makes the temp go to at least 85c

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I said when you do what you are doing do not ask why it gives you problems.

13. prunejuice

prunejuice

I have a suspicion you'll be spending a lot more than that soon...

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

$90 now OR new board, cpu, memory, etc when the psu fails and takes out other hardware.....
    The choice is his however I just wonder why he asks "Why he has problems"

15. prunejuice

prunejuice

Actually, a quality power supply that will serve the OP's needs can probably be had for less than $90.

You just have to poke around for deals...e-coupons...sales...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice