InsydeH20 Bios being annoying

catsarecuter

Safe mode does not effect what bios shows. BIOS is unrelated to windows
What I meant was please see what it shows for hardware reserved when windows is in safe mode
Since there isn't a way to boot windows in safe mode from BIOS I booted it from troubleshoot/advanced options but it still showed the exact same 16gb total ~9gb hardware reserved

catsarecuter

I agree with Mac above; either the ram itself is causing the problem OR a bad slot. When you see an excess of ram hardware reserved, it means the operating system has detected some problem with the ram. BTW this "problem" can simply be miss matched ram ie different speed, etc.

When you purchase ram, it is best to use ram on the mfg's qvl or approved list. This ram has been tested and found to work.
The sticks are identical, atleast one of them works (because I'm using the computer to write this) and before I pull it open again I'd like to atleast try modifying RAM settings in BIOS somehow.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It is as I said, quite common for ram, not considered useable by windows to be show as hardware reserved
The reason it probably shows 9GB is that 8of those is the one stick and the other 1GB approx is what would be normally shown as hardware reserved.

With respect, you keep asking about the BIOS and I do no think you will get anywhere, even if you could access ram settings in BIOS, but as I said all the indications are that Lenovo have disabled access to other than the most basic of settings in the firmware

Re the access to Safe mode, I know you cannot get there from Firmware - BIOS
as I said
Just as a try and not expecting it to work - boot it in safe mode and see what it shows
That is via settings and advanced as before then startup settings

Is THERE some history please, to this decision to upgrade ram from the single stick of 8GB to the 16GB. Were there problems on this laptop, that brought about the decision to upgrade the ram, whilst sorting out the other problem.

catsarecuter

I did load it in safe mode that way and it still showed 16gb total of which 9gb reserved.

There haven't been any performance or other problems it's just that some newer games require more RAM to not be a slideshow.

But I guess I'll get it over with and start fiddling with the RAM to see if changing them about might do something.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
With reference to
The sticks are identical, at least one of them works (because I'm using the computer to write this
Try this
https://hcidesign.com/memtest/

It is better than memtest, as it tests the ram within windows rather than at boot from memtest.
Ram can easily pass memtest and still fail this test.
Please read the manual on the left of the link page, but the most important point is to test only unused ram, as windows will change the unused ram so, that ALL ram is eventually tested
How much RAM to test:
Only test the amount of RAM that is unused, rather than the total amount of RAM in your system - otherwise your computer will spend 99% of the test reading and writing to your hard drive, rather than testing RAM. By default MemTest will check all RAM that is not in use by other applications. If you want more control, you can use the Windows Task Manager to determine how much RAM is free.

crjdriver

The sticks are identical, atleast one of them works (because I'm using the computer to write this) and before I pull it open again I'd like to atleast try modifying RAM settings in BIOS somehow.
You need to understand; you have a laptop and they have next to nothing in bios settings. The settings are there however they are hidden. As I told you, it will cost at least as much as your laptop cost to have someone custom write a bios for you [to enable bios settings that are hidden]
IMO you are fighting an up hill battle with this. It is either a ram problem OR a slot on the motherboard problem.

catsarecuter

I'm either not understanding how it works or it's pointless: Screenshot (2262).png

So I saw this and typed in 3000 and let it run until it was 124% done and it didn't find any errors.
If I was supposed to do something else please explain.

But doesn't it only test available RAM meaning that using it to test hardware reserved RAM is pointless?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
But doesn't it only test available RAM meaning that using it to test hardware reserved RAM is pointless?
If I thought it was pointless, I would not with respect have suggested it
Follow the advice shown in the image you have attached - in the text to the right of the GUI interface
So as you have 16GB open 8 instances of the memtest and enter 2048 in each

catsarecuter

Like this?Screenshot (2265).png
Do I have to run them all simultaneously because when I did and tried to check the results a couple hours in the computer was too unresponsive to do anything.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
OK it was worth a try
I do not think you are going anywhere with it as far as this testing is concerned
You can if you wish try Memtest on boot, a different sort of Memtest but I doubt it will find anything
If you wish to try see this

https://www.memtest86.com/
the free download not the purchased pro
make the usb boot from it
run TWO complete passes each pass consisting of 10 to 12 tests depending on the system
although it is called memtest86 that is what you want as it runs outside of windows
https://www.memtest86.com/tech_creating-window.html

On this link see third image down
https://www.memtest86.com/screenshots.html
it shows you PASS progress and TEST progress
It shows PASS 0% and TEST 76%
You run until PASS shows 100% and that will be when TEST 10 or 12 shows 100%
you then let it ruin for a second complete pass

catsarecuter

I finally got the time to open up the laptop and test the sticks individually and they both work fine individually so neither is damaged. I also tried using the old stick with one of the new ones because why not, but that didn't work and I ended up putting the two new sticks back in but switching their position which still didn't do anything so I guess I'll have to go buy the dual kit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online