1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

intalled new hard drive and still getting BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cashtone, Oct 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cashtone

cashtone Thread Starter

Hello,

I am very beginner-level tech guy and am wondering if someone can point me in the right direction of how to proceed.

My Dell Dimension 8400 got the BSOD:
    STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8969528 , 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I ordered a new hard drive to replace the original hard drive expecting that to resolve the problem.
    I allowed the system to create a partition based on the entire space allowed and started installing windows XP.
    Windows XP installation progressed for a bit then when it restarted the computer it went straight back to the same BSOD!!!. OUTRAGEOUS!!!

I did a hard drive diagnostic and the new drive (Drive 0) got a "Pass" The two CD drives (Drive 4 & Drive 5) both said "Diagnostics Not Supported"

I have left the SATA Operation to the system default (RAID Autodetect / AHCI). I tried switching the SATA Operation to (RAID Autodetect / ATA), saved and exited, but still got BSOD.
    All other BIOS settings are default

Is the Boot Sequence important? Currently it says:
    1.Onboard or USB Floppy Drive
    2. Onboard SATA Hard Drive
    3. Onboard IDE Hard Drive (not present)
    4. Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive
    If I change the Boot Sequence to SATA Hard Drive #1 could that help?

I hope I can fix this and the Mother board is not broken.

Should I be testing/checking the memory cards?
    How would I do a RAM test, or a CPU test?

Would it be useful to disconnect/reconnect the internal components to ensure the connections are proper?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

1. Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive
    2. Onboard SATA Hard Drive ( if the drive is sata)
    alter the first drives to boot as above.
    system default (RAID Autodetect / AHCI)

reset the bios to safe settings (default)
    lift and reseat the memory chips take care to earth your self to the case before touching chips.
    boot into the bios and make the necessary changes firstboot etc...take note of correct memory amount installed and the time and date/month/year is correct.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/957050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice