Solved Integrated Graphics being used over dedicated GPU

qwerty01

Hello,

I recently bought a laptop & have tried to tinker with Nvidia Control Panel, but I have noticed that the system seems to use the integrated graphics rather than the GTX 1650 inside the laptop. I can't even seem to use the drop down menu to choose my preferred GPU, even running the Tech Support Guy System Info Utility reports back that I have an integrated card rather than dedicated.

P.S. Attached below are some pictures of the Nvidia panel to show what I am talking about.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210503020812.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 165 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 953 GB (801 GB Free); D: 111 GB (111 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO LNVNB161216, ver SDK0J40700 WIN, s/n PF2BXPJM
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n PF2BXPJM
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Attachments

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
According to your log, you have THIS Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3-15IMH05 Machine Type Model 81Y4000HCC laptop which was purchased in November 2020 and came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

According to that laptop's support site, it has integrated Intel graphics and dedicated NVIDIA graphics.

It's my guess it has what's called "switchable graphics".

-------------------------------------------------

qwerty01

According to your log, you have THIS Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3-15IMH05 Machine Type Model 81Y4000HCC laptop which was purchased in November 2020 and came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

According to that laptop's support site, it has integrated Intel graphics and dedicated NVIDIA graphics.

It's my guess it has what's called "switchable graphics".

Oh, I see. Do you know how I might be able to change the settings in NVIDIA Control Panel to reflect the 1650 rather than the Intel graphics?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Go to that laptop's support site with the webpage link that I provided.
Click "Knowledge Base & Guides" in the left column.
Scroll thorough the knowledge base list or select the appropriate user guide.
See if that helps.
If it doesn't, someone else here will need to assist you.

Check for an Nvidia display adapter in Device Manager.
Right click on Start Menu -> select Device Manager -> open Display Adapters category by clicking the > next to that label. Do you see Intel and Nvidia listed there? Ensure neither has a red X or yellow ! next to them.
If you do not see Nvidia, re-install it's driver as detailed below.

In your Nvidia Control Panel screenshot, click that link to open Windows Graphics Settings. I am curious to know if that when you set a preference for an app there, does it list the Intel as Power Saving GPU, and the Nvidia as High Performance GPU, or is Nvidia not shown there. This link shows how to set a preference for an app there:

https://www.top-password.com/blog/enable-high-performance-gpu-for-windows-10-apps-or-games/

Try it for any app, and post a screenshot (like the last screenshot at that link) if possible.

Re-installing Nvidia graphics drivers might fix your problem, even if it is showing in Device Manager. You can get compatible drivers for that laptop at the Lenovo link Frank provided. (click Drivers & Software menu -> do the Auto Scan if you want to update all drivers -or- click Manual Update -> under Graphics Processing Units, download+install NVIDIA VGA Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit)

That GFE download there is for GeForce Experience. It might work fine for you too, but you have to run it and it will in turn go get the latest driver directly from Nvidia. You may want to do that later, but I would advise to get it working with a known good driver for your laptop first, which would be the one Lenovo provides directly. Afterwards, you could go to nvidia.com directly and get the latest driver for GTX 1650 (mobile) there -or- use GeForce Experience.

qwerty01

Well the fix was actually pretty simple. I just did as DPRC said and went inside Device Manager & played around with the NVIDIA Drivers, a simple disable and enable seems to have fixed the issue. Appreciate all your guys help on the topic.

qwerty01

Well the problem seems to have come back. I've tried checking if there's any problem with Device Manager and there was no issue there. I've tried checking the Windows Graphics Settings and still with the preference for High Performance on the games I wanted to play (NVIDIA GPU), the Intel Graphics is still the one being used.

I've tried updating all drivers but it's fully up-to-date any way. I'm thinking my next route is to uninstall the NVIDIA driver as a whole and reinstall it as per DPRC's recommendation, but the pop-up that comes up when I try to uninstall it worries me a little, I guess I would like some reassurance that once I uninstall the driver, there should be no problem reinstalling it and there shouldn't be any sort of issue with it after the uninstall.

I do however think this is mainly a NVIDIA Control Panel issue as it doesn't seem to let me use the GPU as my preferred GPU on Global Settings now and then, but when I'm able to do so, everything runs smoothly.

Well, if you guys have any other advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online