1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Integrated Graphics question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CaseyRenee87, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CaseyRenee87

CaseyRenee87 Thread Starter

Greetings everyone...

I have a Gateway 310 series pc that has an onboard Intel Extreme graphics controller..and recently after i upgraded the RAM, its started to do this thing where the screen image suddenly looks garbled or broken.. and flickers (the monitor is CRT) and i have to manually shut it(the computer unit) down using the power button. (shutting only the monitor off dosent work) anyways my significant other gave me an ATI radeon graphics card and i was wondering if i can plug it into the motherboard..download the driver and then use it instead and override the onboard graphics? I heard it could be done before.:D

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

You most certainly can, provided that
    1. If fits the slots in your computer- AGP, PCIe, whatever it may be.
    2. It gets enough power- you need to say which card i tis really.
    3. There is no 3. thats it :)

It would be useful if you could post what card it is, and if you know it what the motherboard is. Then we shoul dbe able to confirm it :)

3. CaseyRenee87

Okay I got the full specs of the card:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/strike-force,597-6.html

everything about it can be found on that site.
    and my system's motherboard model is a:

Intel Thrasher P4 2.6GHZ sea Breeze system board

typical system boards that are shipped in Gateway 310 SE models.

it has about 3-4 PCI slots if i can remember last time I opened it up.

thanks hope this info helps!:D

4. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

You probably can add the new card but since your problems started after you upgraded your memory I'd check if there's something else wrong first...

Maybe you moved something out of place while installing the new RAM, maybe the new RAM sticks are incompatible with your old ones...

1)Make sure that everything is in place.

2)If you are familiar with BIOS settings, load BIOS and try altering the memory of your onboard graphics card. Try both lower and higher amounts and see if that helps you. You can find information regarding your BIOS setup utility and its settings on your motherboard's manual.

3)If the above steps don't help try this: Download memtest86+ and burn the .iso image to a cd. Then let the program run for at least 5 passes (it will take a few hours, it's normal - don't worry). If you get errors while running memtest you may have to try some additional troubleshooting.

http://www.memtest.org/

5. CaseyRenee87

Thanks Mosquito555

The memory modules I installed were definitely and 100% compatible as I did extensive research and even ran compatibility apps on my comps system that generated the proper memory.

I've done things with the BIOS before..but never tinkered with my hardware settings through them. Though it shouldnt be much trouble to get familiar with them. I have a sneaking suspicion i may have touched the onboard GPU chipset by accident when i changed my RAM. Another thing it does is after going to standby it almost always does the said garbled image thing..so I'm thinking it might be the RAM sadly. Though I am going to try and run the memtest soon as I can and see what happens. :) thanks for the help!

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you ran the Memory test suggested by Mosquite555? It may be compatible, but that doesn't mean its not faulty. You should always run a full memory test when ever you install memory.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/859427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice