1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

integrated graphics upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leprickon, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leprickon

leprickon Thread Starter

ok, so..

my parents are getting a new computer (an HP a620n) and it comes with Nvidia 6150SE graphics.

i know the 6150SE is an integrated chip, but i want to know if it is possible for me to install another card (like an 8600) and have the computer use the 8600 instead of the 6150SE.

all/any help is much appreciated!!

2. Kenny Gates

Kenny Gates

if the motherboard has a pci-e slot, sure you can get whatever new gfx card you want :p

3. leprickon

leprickon Thread Starter

pci-e is a pci express slot, right?
    o_O'

4. Kenny Gates

Kenny Gates

yeah thats right, if you have a pci-express slot you can get a pci-express graphics card.

when you install the new graphics card it will automatically disable the integrated graphics and you just plug your monitor into the graphics card at the back of your pc. one you have done that go to the NVIDIA website, and download the driver for you graphics card and reboot your pc, and your good to go =P

5. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Just as an addendum, check how the card setup works. Some mobos disable onboard automatically, some dont :)

6. leprickon

leprickon Thread Starter

woot!
    i'm excited i can get a decent 8600gts now :)

oh wait..
    monitor+8600gts+600w psu=$500 :(

ah well... :p
    definitely worth it

7. elnasty

elnasty

Yeah,it was that easy installing ati radion 512Mb pcie card(there's a lever each end of the board slot that snap into place when the card is inserted)
    And going to the makers site gets you better software than the installation disk.
    stan

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/691672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice