1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

integrated graphics

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eastybeasty, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eastybeasty

eastybeasty Thread Starter

Hi everyone

My first post here. I don't really what I'm talking about but I think I know the answer already, hoping someone can help me tho. I've just bought skyrim and I checked my laptop specs against the minimum requirements which it did meet. I've been having trouble running it even with everything turned down low and now I know the problem. Its due to the integrated graphics which I don't know much about and didnt even know of its existence until yesterday!

I mentioned my problems to my friend who thought there might be a way to adjust the shared memory, is this possible? I'm just looking to explore all ways I might be able to run it before I admit defeat although I would be extremely surprised if I could run it.

Its an acer aspire 5735Z so not the newest and the specs are:

Windows Vista
    intel dual core processor (2.16 Ghz)
    3 gb RAM
    Direct X 10 (intel graphics card with up to 1.244Mb)

any help would be appreciated. i didnt post this in the gaming section as i thought it was more of a hardware question :)

2. pip22

pip22

Intel graphics chips don't meet the requirements of most of today's PC games.
    Whilst it's (usually) possible to allocate more system RAM to the graphics chip in the BIOS Setup, there is a limit to how much you can allocate, and it's certainly less than the 1GB (recommended) that SkyRim requires.

Not only that, the more RAM you assign to the graphics chip, the less there is left over for Windows and applications to use. SkyRim requires 2GB RAM (minimum), 4GB (recommended). You have a total of 3GB RAM at present. Windows Vista needs most of that for itself just to run at an acceptable pace.
    There just isn't enough RAM for both Vista and SkyRim together, especially as Vista is particularly heavy on RAM usage compared to other Windows versions.

So the Intel graphics chip is the primary weak spot, with installed RAM being the second weak spot.

You can add more RAM of course, but you're stuck with the Intel chip.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1076097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice